Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' (1904) suggests that the Smyths of Portlick were a branch of the Smyths of Gaybrook, near Mullingar, county Westmeath.
|Smyth (Portlick Castle)||From the early 18th century the Smyths of Portlick Castle, near Athlone, county Westmeath, owned a small estate in county Galway. In 1824 Smyth of Springlawn was recorded as an absentee landlord in county Galway. The estate was comprised of two townlands in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Killian, county Galway in the mid 1850s. The Smyths were involved with the Irelands with a mortgage on Springlawn and Castlegar and lands in Kilkenny West, count Westmeath in 1864. In the 1870s the Smyths owned 799 acres in county Galway and 459 acres in county Westmeath. Two annuities charged on the lands of the Smyths in counties Westmeath and Galway were advertised for sale in January 1871. By March 1916 a final offer of £6,000 had been received by Robert W. Smyth from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of his county Galway estate.|
|Ireland (Galway & Kiltartan)||The Ireland family settled in the midlands in the 17th century. Through marriage with the Lynch family of Lydican, county Galway and the Stanley family of county Westmeath they came to acquire land in counties Galway, Roscommon and Westmeath in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Irelands were an influential family involved in the administrative and business life of Galway city in the mid-19th century. John Ireland of Eyre Square, Galway, married Eliza Josephina McDonnell in July 1836. He is buried in the grounds of St. James' Church, Bushy Park. John Ireland's brother Arthur was the first Bursar of Queen's College, Galway. Property at Eyre Square, Galway, owned by Edward Ireland, was sold in the Landed Estates Court in November 1866. The purchaser was Captain Forster. The estate at Roo, in the barony of Kiltartan, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in April 1873. At that time it was the property of Isaac Daly and his wife Henrietta and John Ireland and his wife Henrietta. The estate, amounting to over 600 acres, of Sophia Mary Ireland in the barony of Kilconnell were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in March 1851 and 1852. The sale also included lands in the barony of Kilkenny West, county Westmeath. In March 1851, the Freeman's Journal reported that the Galway lands were purchased by William Fry but the sale of the some of the Westmeath lands were adjourned due to insufficient bidding. A Mrs. Ireland, address at Woodlawn, is recorded as the owner of over 1200 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. At the same time Samuel Gardiner Ireland of Roberstown, Naas, county Kildare, a nephew of John and Arthur Ireland of Galway, owned 121 acres in county Roscommon, 314 acres in county Westmeath and 242 acres in county Kildare.|
|Maunsell||John W. Maunsell was occupying Springlawn on the Smyth estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s he is recorded as owner of 1,124 acres in county Galway and was still residing at Springlawn.|