The Stafford property was leased from Lord Lorton's estate and was located in the parish of Creeve, barony of Frenchpark, county Roscommon. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Captain Charles Stafford held 3 townlands in the parish of Kiteevan, barony of Ballintober South and in the 1870s Charles Stafford of Portobello owned 531 acres in county Roscommon. Over 240 acres of the Stafford estate was bought by the Congested Districts' Board in 1915.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
OSI Ref: M849927
OS Sheet: 16, 10
Discovery map: 33
- Copy of confirmation of arms to Thomas Joseph Stafford, son of John Stafford, son of Thomas Stafford, both of Porbello, son of Hugh Stafford, son of John Stafford, both of Elphin, youngest son of Thomas Stafford of Gillstown [parish of Kilglass, barony of Ballintober North], who died 1733. GO MS 111: 206-207; National Library of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Carrick-on-Shannon Union, 49.
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 321
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol. I, 433.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 319
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 423
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 57