In the 1870s the Reverend Richard Gibbings, Professor of Ecclesiastical History at Trinity College, Dublin, owned an estate of over 4000 acres in the parish of Burrishoole, barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo, previously the Newfield estate of Henry J. Smith. Untenanted lands in a number of townlands were still in the family's possession in 1906 but no mansion house is recorded for Newfield. The estate of 4,069 acres was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 Mar 1915. Professor Gibbings was a cousin of Bartholomew Gibbings of Gibbings Grove, county Cork.
No houses were found for this estate
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 371
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 179
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 309
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 51