Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Newcomen

In the late 17th century a junior branch of the Newcomen family of county Longford moved to Knock, county Roscommon. Knock was among the 9,000 acres + in counties Roscommon, Galway, Sligo and Mayo granted to Sir Thomas Newcomen in July 1677 and November 1678. The Newcomens were residing at Camlagh by the 1740s which was soon after leased to the Keoghs. The county Galway part of the Newcomen estate was in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare but the main part of their estate was in the county Roscommon parishes of Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone and Kilbride and Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South. In the 1870s two George Newcomens are recorded, one a minor and ward of the Court of Chancery, the other with an address in county Meath. Each owned an estate of over 2,200 acres in county Roscommon. Over 850 acres belonging to George A. Newcomen in county Galway were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 31 March 1914. John Newcoman owned 574 acres in county Galway in the 1870s.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Camlagh Camlagh Taghmaconnell Athlone Carrowreagh 19 Athlone Roscommon OSI Ref: M869 391
OS Sheet: 50
Discovery map: 47
Esker Esker Taghmaconnell Athlone Castlesampson 6 Athlone Roscommon OSI Ref: M935 398
OS Sheet: 51
Discovery map: 47
Newcomen Castle Knock Taghmaconnell Ballinasloe Carrowreagh 19 Athlone Roscommon OSI Ref: M901 369
OS Sheet: 51
Discovery map: 47

Archival sources

  • Rental of Newcomen estate in Leitrim, 1822. M.2978. ; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources