At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Heague held the townland of Cloonahee, parish of Clooncraff, barony of Roscommon, in fee. He had previously leased Cloonahee from Gilbert Conry, lease dated 14 May 1836. The Conry estate was advertised for sale in February 1853. John Heague also held land in the parishes of Creeve and Kilcooley (from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and from the representatives of Henry French). The Heagues held valuable properties in the town of Strokestown in the mid 1850s. In 1876 John Hague of Cloonahee owned 123 acres in county Roscommon. Hussey de Burgh records him as the owner of 693 acres. Richard Hague was negotiating with the Congested Districts' Board in 1916.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Conry, 3 Feb 1853, Vol 20, MRGS 39/009, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 316
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Strokestown Union, 60
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 386
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 221
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 59