Dean John Patrick Lyons, Parish Priest of Kilmore Erris, and his brother Luke held land in the Binghamstown area, barony of Erris, county Mayo, in the mid 19th century. Dean Lyons lived in Binghamstown House, which he leased from the Bingham family. In 1876 a Henry Lyons of Carrowkeel, Crossmolina, owned 963 acres and Mrs Marianne Lyons of Ardmore, Belmullet owned 450 acres in county Mayo. By March 1916 offers from the Congested Districts' Board for both acreages had been accepted by Lyons and McDermott.
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Vol V, 73
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol II, 188
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 310
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 284
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 52 & 56