Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Carey

In the mid 19th century the Carey family, merchants of Belmullet, held lands in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo. In 1863-1864 they sold Glenturk More and part of Glenturk Beg in the Landed Estates' Court. These lands were originally leased to Catherine Houston by Sir Arthur Shaen. In 1876 Mrs John Carey of Pickle Point, Belmullet, owned 1155 acres in county Mayo. John Carey sold 1,807 acres to the Congested Districts' Board on 28 Mar 1906 and Michael Carey sold 1,402 acres to the Board on 24 Apr 1913.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Pickle Point Atticonaun Kilcommon Belmullet Belmullet 47 Erris Mayo OSI Ref: F724 313
OS Sheet: 17
Discovery map: 22

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Carey, 3 Nov 1863 & 12 Jan 1864, Vols 70 & 71, MRGS 39/035, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Carey, 14 July 1882, Vol 143, MRGS 39/063, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources