Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Shaen

Description

Sir James Shaen, Surveyor General of Ireland, left his estates to his son Sir Arthur Shaen, who had 2 daughters and heiresses. One daughter, Frances, married Sir John Bingham of Newbrook, county Mayo in 1738 and the other daughter, Susannah, married Henry Boyle Carter of Castle Martin, county Kildare in 1750.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Farrell The Farrell family held lands in the Barony of Tirerrill, County Sligo. In May 1854 Fergus Farrell offered for sale lands at Carrickbanagher and Coolteen. The sale notice indicates that portions of these lands formed part of a fee-farm grant from Richard Coote, Lord Colloney to Morgan Farrell in 1667. The Freeman's Journal reported that they were purchased in trust for Alderman Farrell at a cost of over £10,000. Later, in 1856, William Ferrall offered for sale lands at Levally, barony of Tirerrill. Both Henry Lyons and Harloe Trumble Phibbs held interests in these lands. In the 1870s Edward Farrell, with an address at Capel St., Dublin, was the owner of over 1200 acres in county Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Fergus Farrell, son of James J.C.Farrell of Gibralter House, county Sligo, held the townland of Muingnabo containing 2991 acres in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo. The property was held on a lease renewable for ever, Sir Arthur Shaen to Thomas Bournes dated 10 June 1707. In 1828 Fergus Farrell had married Alicia Bournes, widow of James Peter Ruttledge.
Bingham (Bingham's Castle) The Bingham family of Newbrook, parish of Robeen, county Mayo, later Barons Clanmorris, inherited half the estate of Sir Arthur Shaen in the barony of Erris through a marriage in 1738. Denis Bingham, a younger son, settled in the Belmullet peninsular in the late 1790s and built Bingham's Castle. The Binghams of Erris are descended from him and from his brother, Henry of Annagh. Theresa Bingham Daly lists the undivided moiety of the Binghams in the barony of Erris in a quote from the will of Henry Bingham of Newbrook, dated 22 Dec 1789 (see page 78). The Binghams also held land in the parish of Kilfian, barony of Tirawley, which was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1855. In the previous year almost 13,000 acres were offered for sale in the barony of Erris by the Bingham family. In 1876 Denis Bingham owned 4827 acres in county Mayo, Arthur Shaen Bingham of Doolough owned 1662 acres and female members of the family, mainly residing in Kingstown and Dalkey, county Dublin, owned another 17,000 acres, see the family trees in McCalmont's book. Much of Denis Bingham's estate in the barony of Erris was sold in the Landed Estates' Court in 1878. Property owned by Elizabeth Eleanor and Gerald Henry Bingham, in the barony of Erris, was advertised for sale in the Land Judges' Court in November 1889.
Bingham (Annagh) This family was a junior branch of the Binghams of Newbrook, parish of Robeen, county Mayo, who inherited some of the Shaen estates in the barony of Erris. The Binghams of Erris are descended from Henry of Annagh and his brother Denis of Bingham's Castle. In 1876 Henry Bingham of Annagh owned 9471 acres in county Mayo and Mrs Sarah Bingham [wife of his uncle the Reverend John Bingham] owned a further 1010 acres.
Bournes In 1707 the Bournes family, Cromwellian settlers from Castle Connor, county Sligo, acquired lands in the Rossport area, barony of Erris, county Mayo, from Sir Arthur Shaen. Branches of the family were established at Rossport, Carrownaglogh or Stonefield and Portacloy, parish of Kilcommon. In 1855 George Smith Bournes, eldest son of Samuel Bournes of Rossport House and his wife Maria Watts, daughter of Andrew Watts of Ballinglen, county Mayo married Elizabeth Hartley Isabella Wallace, eldest daughter of Charles P. Wallace formerly of Lime Park, county Galway. The Countess of Wessex descends from this marriage, seehttp://www.thepeerage.com/p10414.htm#i104136. Almost 3000 acres of John Bournes estate in county Mayo was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in November 1867 but the sale was adjourned due to only one bid being placed. In 1876 members of the Bournes family living in Clara, county Offaly, owned 5760 acres in county Mayo. Most of the estate was sold to the Land Commission in 1926.
Carter The Carter family of Castlemartin, county Kildare, inherited half the Shaen lands in the barony of Erris, county Mayo, through marriage with a Shaen heiress in 1750. In the mid 1820s they founded the town of Belmullet and developed it with the assistance of John Crampton, their agent, and the engineer, Patrick Knight. The Carters also owned the head rent of Corramore and Kilmore in the parish of Athleague, barony of Athlone, and an undivided moiety of Tarmonbarry in the barony of Ballintober, county Roscommon. These lands were offered for sale with other estates in counties Meath, Kildare and King's county (county Offaly) in May 1855. In 1876 the Carter family owned over 40,000 acres in county Mayo and had a residence in Oxfordshire, England. Lands, the property of Adelaide Shaen-Carter were sold in the Land Judges' Court in June 1885. The purchaser was John Conway.
Houston In 1709 Sir Arthur Shaen leased lands in the barony of Erris, county Mayo, including Inver, Gortbrack North, Gortmellia and Knocknalower to Francis Houston. Noone refers to a Francis Shaen Houston with an address in county Westmeath as landlord of Gortmellia in 1763. Sir Arthur Shaen also leased Glenturkmore and part of Glenturkbeg to Catherine Houston in 1717.
Nash The Nash family acquired lands on renewable leases for ever from Sir Arthur Shaen in the barony of Erris in the early 18th century. In 1752 Bishop Pococke spent a night with the Nashs on their farm near the old ruined castle of Cloontakilly in the parish of Kilcommon, Bangor Erris locality. In the 19th century they were settled on the Belmullet peninsular at Carn in the parish of Kilmore. In 1846 Elizabeth Elinor Nash, only child and heiress of Arthur Nash, married Denis Bingham of Bingham's Castle. In 1853, in the Encumbered Estates' Court, she sold the lands of Inver, Emlaghbeg and Carn [Nash] to John Reilly.
Richards (Barranagh) At the time of Griffith's Valuation John William Owen Richards had an estate in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Erris, county Mayo. This property was previously held on a lease for ever from Sir Arthur Shaen to the Everards. In 1876 Richards owned 2228 acres in county Mayo and 3219 acres at Tempo, county Fermanagh.
Everard The Everards settled in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Erris, county Mayo, in the early 18th century and held lands on renewable leases for ever from Sir Arthur Shaen. The Ordnance Survey Name Books help to identify the townlands belonging to the Everards, most of which were in the possession of John W.O.Richards by the time of Griffith's Valuation.
Shaen In the 1660s Sir James Shaen of Kilmore, county Roscommon, Surveyor General of Ireland, bought a large portion of the barony of Erris, county Mayo, from Robert Viner, a London goldsmith, who had been granted the lands by Charles II in payment of a debt. In 1695 the estate of approximately 95,000 acres was inherited by Sir James' son Arthur and subsequently passed to the Bingham and Carter families through marriage with the two daughters and heiresses of Sir Arthur. Sir Arthur granted leases in perpetuity to the Protestant settlers he introduced onto his estate.
Short At the time of Griffith's Valuation Isabella Short held the lands of Cloontakilla and Attavally and also part of Atticonaun in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo. Noone makes reference to Atticonaun having been in the possession of Major Charles Short and his family from the 1830s. Cloontakilla and Attavally were originally leased by Sir Arthur Shaen to Francis Nash in 1724 and were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in May 1858.
Tollett The Reverend John Tollett came to the parish of Kilcommon Erris, county Mayo, with the group of English Protestant settlers introduced by Sir Arthur Shaen in the early 18th century. George Tollett sold his estate at Moyrahan, parish of Kilmore, barony of Erris, county Mayo, to Mathew Atkinson in April 1850.
Gamble/Gambell A family who settled in the barony of Erris early in the 18th century when they were leased lands by Sir Arthur Shaen. Arthur Gamble sold his life interest in more than 400 acres in county Mayo in November 1872, along with 609 acres in county Westmeath. The Irish Times reported that the Mayo property was sold to Mr. James C. MacDonnell. On 5 June 1860 Arthur Gamble of Washbrook, county Westmeath married Alicia Frances, daughter of William Fetherstonhaugh of Carrick, county Westmeath. Their second daughter, Alicia Fanny, married Henry Charles Gregory, solicitor and Land Commissioner in 1884 as his second wife.
Irwin (Erris) On 11 June 1707 Sir Arthur Shaen leased the lands of Lenarevagh, parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo, to John Irwin. In 1852 George and John Irwin advertised for sale an undivided moiety of their lands. In 1876 William and Thomas Irwin each owned 555 acres in county Mayo.
Carey In the mid 19th century the Carey family, merchants of Belmullet, held lands in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo. In 1863-1864 they sold Glenturk More and part of Glenturk Beg in the Landed Estates' Court. These lands were originally leased to Catherine Houston by Sir Arthur Shaen. In 1876 Mrs John Carey of Pickle Point, Belmullet, owned 1155 acres in county Mayo. John Carey sold 1,807 acres to the Congested Districts' Board on 28 Mar 1906 and Michael Carey sold 1,402 acres to the Board on 24 Apr 1913.
Mahon (Castlegar) The Mahons were settled at Castlegar from the early 18th century. In 1711 the Earl of Clanricarde leased Castlegar to Bryan Mahon for lives renewable for ever. They intermarried on a number of occasions with members of the Browne family of Westport. In 1819 the head of the family became a baronet. In the 1830s, at the time of the first Ordnance Survey, Ross Mahon was the proprietor of several townlands in the parish of Ahascragh. The Mahon estate was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Grange, barony of Loughrea at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Mr. Charles Filgate acted as agent for this property. The Mahons also held extensive lands in the baronies of Clonmacnowen and Killian. In the 1870s the Castlegar estate amounted to over 8000 acres in county Galway as well as over 800 acres in the parish of Termonbarry, barony of Ballintober North, county Roscommon dated 1708. The county Roscommon estate was held on a lease for lives renewable for ever from Sir Arthur Shaen of Kilmore, county Roscommon. In 1906 Sir William Mahon held over 1200 acres of untenanted land in the Ahascragh area. MacLochlainn writes that most of the estate was sold to the Land Commission in 1977. The Mahon Papers, which document their estates in counties Galway and Roscommon, are available for consultation in the National Library of Ireland, Kildare Street, Dublin.