Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Carey


Estate(s)

Name Description
Carey In the mid 19th century the Carey family, merchants of Belmullet, held lands in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo. In 1863-1864 they sold Glenturk More and part of Glenturk Beg in the Landed Estates' Court. These lands were originally leased to Catherine Houston by Sir Arthur Shaen. In 1876 Mrs John Carey of Pickle Point, Belmullet, owned 1155 acres in county Mayo. John Carey sold 1,807 acres to the Congested Districts' Board on 28 Mar 1906 and Michael Carey sold 1,402 acres to the Board on 24 Apr 1913.
McCallum In 1876 Captain Arthur McCallum of Glenturk, Bangor Erris, owned a sporting estate of 3,370 acres in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo, valued at £75.
Buddicom Venetia Digby Butticom owned Glenturk Beg and Glenturk More, parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo, at the beginning of the 20th century.