Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lynch (Partry)

Sir Henry Lynch of Castlecarra, granted his mother the lands of Cloonlagheen, parish of Ballyovey, barony of Carra, county Mayo, in lieu of her dowry in 1667. Her third son, Arthur, inherited the property, which remained in the hands of his descendants until the late 20th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Lynchs held about 1,200 acres in the parish. In the 19th century members of the family followed military careers and were involved in explorations in the Middle East, some became merchants in Baghdad. The final offer of the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of the estate was accepted by March 1916. The Lynch (Blosse-Lynch) family continued to live at Partry until the 1990s.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Partry House Cloonlagheen Ballyovey Ballinrobe Portroyal 26 Carra Mayo OSI Ref: M166 695
OS Sheet: 109
Discovery map: 38

Archival sources

  • Lynch Family and Estate Papers, contact Henry Blosse Lynch, Longcross House, Headley, Newbury, Berkshire, England; Private Possession
  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Lynch, 13 July 1854, Vol 30, MRGS 39/013, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources