Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lynch Blosse

Description

Following a marriage in 1749 with a Blosse heiress, this family took the additional surname of Blosse.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lynch Blosse A Galway family who lost most of their estates in that county under Cromwell but received extensive grants of land in the barony of Carra, county Mayo under the Restoration Settlement, most of which they managed to retain despite supporting the Jacobite cause. Their estate was mainly in the parishes of Ballintober and Ballyovey in the barony of Carra and in the parishes of Mayo, Kilcolman and Balla in the barony of Clanmorris. The lands in the barony of Clanmorris were previously part of the estate of the Moores of Brize, which Sir Henry Lynch claimed by his marriage in 1722 to Mary Moore. His claim was settled by a decree of the House of Lords in 1744. Through their connection with the Moores the Lynch Blosses also held a half share in substantial estates in the barony of Athlone, County Roscommon and the barony of Garrycastle, King's County (Offaly) which were advertised for sale in October 1852. In the early 18th century the Lynch Blosses had a house at Corrandulla in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway. By the mid 18th century they were living at Castlecarra although they retained the house at Corrandulla until the early 19th century. In 1876 the Lynch Blosse estate amounted to 17,555 acres. The Congested Districts' Board purchased the Lynch Blosse estate of 18,566 acres in 1909 for £154,000. The Irish Tourist Association File makes reference to the account of S. Nicholson's survey of the estate in 1844 being in the library of the Archbishop of Tuam. The maps of the Lynch Blosse estate may be viewed on line at http://www.mayolibrary.ie/en/LocalStudies/MayoMapsOnline/
Lynch/Crean Lynch A junior branch of the Lynch Blosse family baronets, who obtained leases of the Clogher estate, in the parishes of Burriscarra and Drum, barony of Carra, and in the parish of Tagheen, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo, for 999 years from Sir Henry Lynch Blosse 8th Baronet in 1788. Family members had mercantile interests at Cadiz in Spain. In the 19th century Elizabeth Lynch married Andrew Crean Lynch of Hollybrook, parish of Tagheen, who bought the Clogher estate from his brother in law Patrick Lynch. By the 1860s Patrick Crean Lynch was in financial difficulties and advertised for sale both his Hollybrook and Clogher estates. Part of the Hollybrook estate was in the parishes of Kilbennan and Kilconla, barony of Dunmore, county Galway. The Irish Times reported details of the purchasers of some lots in this sale though other lots were adjourned. In 1870 one of of his daughters, Helena Mary, married James Charles FitzGerald Kenney of Kilclogher, county Galway. They were the parents of James FitzGerald Kenney, Cumann na nGaedheal TD for south Mayo 1927-1944 and Minister for Justice 1927-1932. In 1873, another daughter of Patrick Crean Lynch married Anthony Joseph MacDermott of Ramore, county Galway, and he and other persons sold over 3000 acres in county Mayo to the Congested Districts' Board in March 1913. Over 600 acres belonging to the Crean Lynchs in county Galway was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 11 June 1914.
Lynch (Partry) Sir Henry Lynch of Castlecarra, granted his mother the lands of Cloonlagheen, parish of Ballyovey, barony of Carra, county Mayo, in lieu of her dowry in 1667. Her third son, Arthur, inherited the property, which remained in the hands of his descendants until the late 20th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Lynchs held about 1,200 acres in the parish. In the 19th century members of the family followed military careers and were involved in explorations in the Middle East, some became merchants in Baghdad. The final offer of the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of the estate was accepted by March 1916. The Lynch (Blosse-Lynch) family continued to live at Partry until the 1990s.
Plunket (Mayo & Cork) During the 19th century the Plunkets, many of whom were prominent clerics in the Church of Ireland, held a sporting estate in the parish of Ballyovey, barony of Carra, county Mayo, from the Lynch Blosses. Thomas Plunket, Bishop of Tuam, Killala and Achonry and 2nd Baron Plunket purchased part of the Lynch Blosse property in 1859. He had previously bought the Ballybanaun estate of the Moores of Moorehall sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1854. In the late 1850s he was involved in a very public dispute with Father Lavelle, the local parish priest, concerning proselytizing activities on his estate. At the time of his death in 1866 the Bishop owned more than 14,000 acres in Co Mayo. The estate was sold by his daughters to William Christian Horsfall, a Bradford worsted manufacturer, in 1868. In 1875, following Horsfall's bankruptcy, the estate was purchased by Abraham and Joseph Mitchell also of Bradford. The Bishop's sister Catherine Plunket also owned land in the parish at Cappaghduff where she built Lough Mask Cottage later known as Drimbawn House. Her property passed to a cousin Sir Richard Bolton McCausland in 1874. In the 1970s Drimbawn was the home of the actor Robert Shaw. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Plunkett held an estate in the parish of Shandrum, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork and other lands in the baronies of Dartrey, Cremorne and Monaghan, county Monaghan. In the 1870s the 4th Baron Plunket owned estates in counties Cork (1,057 acres) , Monaghan and Dublin amounting to over 3,800 acres.
Moore (Brees) Colonel Garrett Moore was granted over 11,500 acres in the barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo as well as the Cloghan estate in county Offaly under the Acts of Settlement. He had one daughter who married Walter Lawrence of Lisreaghan or Lawrencetown, county Galway. He was succeeded by his nephew, Captain John Moore, who married Mary Daly. They had one son, Garrett, and two daughters. Captain John Moore died in 1706 and his widow married Peter Browne of Westport and was mother of John Browne, 1st Earl of Altamont. Garrett Moore succeeded his father but died without issue in 1722 and his two sisters, who had married Sir Henry Lynch 5th baronet of Castle Carra and Michael Moore of Cloonbigny, parish of Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon respectively, became his heiresses. The division of the Moore estate was eventually settled in 1744 by a decision of the House of Lords in favour of Sir Henry Lynch, who obtained possession of a moiety of the Moore estate in county Mayo. In 1852 the Moores of Clonebigny advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court their lands in counties Roscommon, Offaly, Mayo (parishes of Balla and Kilcolman) and Clare amounting to 9456 acres. The maps of the estate of Garret O'Moore may be viewed on line at http://www.mayolibrary.ie/en/LocalStudies/MayoMapsOnline/
Coghlan Under the Acts of Settlement a Francis and Mary Coghlan were granted over 800 acres in the parish of Killasser, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. In the 19th century the Lynch Blosses leased Brees to the Coghlan family, many of whom were involved in the legal profession. Archdeacon Coghlan held one townland in the parish of Kilmovee, barony of Costello, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. William F.Coghlan was a tenant and the occupier of Prospect House, Gortanierin, parish of Crossboyne, on the estate of Lord Oranmore and Browne in 1854. By the mid 1860s the Trestons were selling an interest in Barnagreggaun and the sales rental shows that Martin Kirwan leased Brees to Alexander Coghlan in 1819 for three lives and 31 years.