At the time of Griffith's Valuation Matthew Cornwall held 3 townlands in the parish and barony of Killian, county Galway. These townlands were in the possession of the Davies family in the 1830s. In the 1870s Thomas Cornwall of Thomasfort, Ballygar, owned 659 acres in the county. The representatives of John Cornwall held over 300 acres in the 1870s. Over 500 acres of Thomas W. Cornwall's estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 5 March 1912 and a further 80 acres on 8 Oct 1915.
No houses were found for this estate
- Will of John Cornwall, Curramore, Athleague, Co Roscommon, 11 Nov 1855. Acc. No. 999/112/1; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 101
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 294
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 44 & 48
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 151.
Modern printed sources
- ''Newbridge BT News'': GERARD, John. The Cornwalls of Thomasfort, 1846-1911. (1984), 35. [copy at Galway County Library].