Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Achill Mission

The O'Donel estate on the island of Achill was bought by Trustees of the Achill Mission in association with Thomas Brassey, William Pike and Samuel Holme, who each paid £2,333.6s.8d. for small estates on the island in the early 1850s. The Mission's share was 23,452 acres for which they paid £10,500 . In 1876 the Mission is recorded as holding 19,155 acres, valued at £1,011 in county Mayo. By March 1916 the Achill Mission had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of their estate, which the Board took over in 1921.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Mission settlement Doogort East Achill Newport Slievemore 125 Burrishoole Mayo OSI Ref: F670 082
OS Sheet: 42
Discovery map: 30

Archival sources

  • Letters and documents 1872-1896. MS 410; National Library of Ireland
  • Correspondence and documents 19th century. MSS T.15-19; Representative Church Body Library
  • Lease of houses & premises in Dugort, Trustees of Achill Mission to Miss Ellen Ost, 3 Oct 1907. Small Accs. Index 65, D.16241; National Archives of Ireland
  • W.B. Scott, solicitor's collection, deed re Trustees of Achill Mission, not dated. Small Accs. Index 76, D.10,752; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources