In the 1870s Philip Newton of the Newton family of Dunleckney Manor, Bagenalstown, county Carlow, owned 2483 acres in county Galway, 334 acres in county Roscommon and 635 acres in county Kildare. His addresses were recorded as Loughnavoy, Carna, county Galway and Ballinglen, Rathdrum, county Wicklow. His county Galway lands were in the parish of Moyrus, barony of Ballynahinch, and had previously belonged to the Lynch and Strutzer families. Strutzer had bought land from the sale of the St George of Tyrone estate in the barony of Ballynahinch. 333 acres in county Roscommon belonging to H.P. Newton were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 16 Mar 1916.
No houses were found for this estate
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 312
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 338
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 298
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 59