Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Maher

At the time of Griffith's Valuation John E. Maher was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Clontuskert, barony of Clonmacnowen. His address was recorded as Liskelly and he is listed as the owner of over 400 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. A John Maher was residing at a house called Ashford, located in county Roscommon but whose nearest post town was Ballinasloe, in 1814. Lands at Shanboula or Tristane, in the barony of Clonmacnowen, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in February 1873. The owners included Mary Anne Connolly, nee Maher and Catherine Burke, nee Maher. The Irish Times reported that it was purchased in trust for Lord Clancarty. An offer on over 250 acres of the Maher estate was accepted from the Congested Districts Board after 1909.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Liskelly Liskelly Clontuskert Ballinasloe Kellysgrove 6 Clonmacnowen Galway OSI Ref: M801254
OS Sheet: 99
Discovery map: 47

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates Court Rentals (O'Brien), Kelly/Maher, 28 February 1873, Vol 109, MRGS 39/050, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources