Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Capell

Griffith's Valuation as well as sale notices for the Landed Estates Court show that the Earl of Essex owned land mainly in the parish of Roscommon but also in the parishes of Kilteevan and Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South (Kilbride-Martin sale July 1885) and in the parish of Oran, barony of Ballymoe, (Neligan sale Feb 1862), county Roscommon. In the 1870s the 6th Earl of Essex owned 2,906 acres in county Roscommon and smaller acreages in counties Meath, Wicklow and Dublin. 2,866 acres of tenanted land in county Roscommon belonging to the Earl of Essex was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 Mar 1915.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Carrowroe Park Carrowroe Roscommon Roscommon Roscommon Rural 90 Ballintober South Roscommon OSI Ref: M894 633
OS Sheet: 40
Discovery map: 40
Holywell Coolteige Kilbride Roscommon Kilbride South 84 Ballintober South Roscommon OSI Ref: M896 687
OS Sheet: 36
Discovery map: 40
Essex Lawn Cloonybeirne Roscommon Roscommon Roscommon Rural 90 Ballintober South Roscommon OSI Ref: M876654
OS Sheet: 39
Discovery map: 40

Archival sources

  • Muniments of the Earl of Essex, the Capell family: title deeds of properties in the counties of Hertford, Dublin, Essex, Galway, Roscommon, etc., 1531-1951. DE/Cp; Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies
  • Volume of extracts from Irish history re O’Connor & Kelly families, collected by John Kelly of Essex Lawn, 1856. MS 19,723; National Library of Ireland
  • Carrowroe Park photos. 013/054; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Baker, Ringwood & Gordon, solicitors' collection, includes rental of estates in Cos Roscommon, Dublin & Meath of Earl of Essex & miscellaneous documents re rent charges, Co Roscommon, 20th century. Small Accs. Index 105, M.3816-3820; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources