Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fitzgerald (Cappagh)


Estate(s)

Name Description
FitzGerald (Cappagh) In the 19th century the FitzGeralds held a small estate at Cappagh, parish of Tagheen, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo and also some land and property in Roscommon town which they leased from the Caulfields and the Earl of Essex. In 1876 John FitzGerald of Rathmines, county Dublin, owned 241 acres in county Mayo and in 1877 advertised for sale some of his estate in counties Mayo and Roscommon.
Capell Griffith's Valuation as well as sale notices for the Landed Estates Court show that the Earl of Essex owned land mainly in the parish of Roscommon but also in the parishes of Kilteevan and Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South (Kilbride-Martin sale July 1885) and in the parish of Oran, barony of Ballymoe, (Neligan sale Feb 1862), county Roscommon. In the 1870s the 6th Earl of Essex owned 2,906 acres in county Roscommon and smaller acreages in counties Meath, Wicklow and Dublin. 2,866 acres of tenanted land in county Roscommon belonging to the Earl of Essex was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 Mar 1915.