Landed Estates
NUI Galway

FitzGerald (Cappagh)

In the 19th century the FitzGeralds held a small estate at Cappagh, parish of Tagheen, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo and also some land and property in Roscommon town which they leased from the Caulfields and the Earl of Essex. In 1876 John FitzGerald of Rathmines, county Dublin, owned 241 acres in county Mayo and in 1877 advertised for sale some of his estate in counties Mayo and Roscommon.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cappagh Cappagh South Tagheen Claremorris Cloghermore 89 Clanmorris Mayo OSI Ref: M293 761
OS Sheet: 101
Discovery map: 38

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), FitzGerald, 24 Apr 1877, Vol 127, MRGS 39/057, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources