This French family are descended from an uncle of the 1st Lord de Freyne of French Park. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William John French's estate was in the parishes of Kilcooley and Ogulla, barony and county of Roscommon. In the 1870s William J. French of Blackhall, Navan, county Meath, owned 1,214 acres in county Roscommon. An estate of 1,220 acres belonging to Captain Peregrine Maitland French, third son of William John French was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 1 Nov 1915.
No houses were found for this estate
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 171
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 315
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 59
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1904: French of Castle Bernard, King's County (county Offaly). 204-205