Landed Estates
NUI Galway

French (Frenchpark)

Family title

Baron de Freyne

Description

Arthur French was created Baron de Freyne of Artagh in the English Peerage on 16 May 1839 and Baron de Freyne of Coolavin in the Irish Peerage on 5 April 1851.


Estate(s)

Name Description
French /ffrench (Frenchpark) Patrick French fitzStephen of Galway is recorded as the earliest member of the family to be associated with Frenchpark. He died in 1667 and is buried in the ruined priory there. In March 1666/7 his son, Dominick French of Frenchpark, was granted over 5,000 acres in the barony of Boyle, county Roscommon and his grandson, John French, received a further 2,000 acres in the barony of Ballymoe in 1677. His descendant, Arthur French, was created Baron de Freyne in the Irish Peerage on 5 April 1851. Arthur French was a member of the Grand Panel for county Roscommon in 1828. The French family owned property in Roscommon, Leitrim and Sligo. George French is recorded as owning over 500 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s. In the 1870s Lord de Freyne owned 25,436 acres in county Roscommon, 4,052 acres in county Sligo and 328 acres in county Galway. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, he was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Castlemore, Kilnamanagh and Tibohine, barony of Frenchpark and in the parish of Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon. The Cloonshanville estate, forming part of the French Park house demesne, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in February 1870. The Irish Times reported that the lots were purchased in trust for Baroness de Freyne. Over 36,000 acres of the French Park estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in July 1906.
French Brewster The French Brewsters, like the Frenches of Tulsk and Castle Bernard, county Offaly, were descended from Robert Henry French of Dublin, an uncle of the 1st Lord de Freyne. In the mid 19th century the representatives of Henry [Sneyd] French held land in the parishes of Kilcooley and Killukin, barony of Roscommon. In the 1870s the French Brewster estate was comprised of 1,415 acres in county Roscommon with smaller acreages in counties Dublin, Carlow and Wicklow.
French (Errit Lodge) In the mid 19th century the Right Honourable Fitzstephen French of Erritt Lodge, Member of Parliament for county Roscommon and younger brother of the 1st Lord de Freyne, owned an estate in the parish of Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, which he purchased in 1852 from Moore of Cloonbigny. He also held property in the parish of Tibohine, barony of Frenchpark and in the parish of Kiltrustan, barony of Roscommon. In the 1870s the representatives of Fitzstephen French owned 12,270 acres in county Roscommon, 1,224 acres in county Sligo and 79 acres in county Cork. In 1874 over 7000 acres of Fitzstephen French's estate in the barony of Frenchpark, known as "the Bishop's Lands" was offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. This land was held on lease from 1863 from Lord de Freyne's estate. In November 1878 lands amounting to 3,817 acres in the baronies of Athlone and Castlereagh were advertised for sale in the Land Judges' Court. The owners and petitioners were Louisa F.C.M. Bridges and Augusta S.F.G. French, the two daughters and co heiresses of Fitzstephen French.
French (Tulsk) This French family are descended from an uncle of the 1st Lord de Freyne of French Park. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William John French's estate was in the parishes of Kilcooley and Ogulla, barony and county of Roscommon. In the 1870s William J. French of Blackhall, Navan, county Meath, owned 1,214 acres in county Roscommon. An estate of 1,220 acres belonging to Captain Peregrine Maitland French, third son of William John French was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 1 Nov 1915.