Landed Estates
NUI Galway

French (Tulsk)


Descended from Robert Henry French of Dublin, uncle of 1st Lord de Freyne.


Name Description
French /ffrench (Frenchpark) Patrick French fitzStephen of Galway is recorded as the earliest member of the family to be associated with Frenchpark. He died in 1667 and is buried in the ruined priory there. In March 1666/7 his son, Dominick French of Frenchpark, was granted over 5,000 acres in the barony of Boyle, county Roscommon and his grandson, John French, received a further 2,000 acres in the barony of Ballymoe in 1677. His descendant, Arthur French, was created Baron de Freyne in the Irish Peerage on 5 April 1851. Arthur French was a member of the Grand Panel for county Roscommon in 1828. The French family owned property in Roscommon, Leitrim and Sligo. George French is recorded as owning over 500 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s. In the 1870s Lord de Freyne owned 25,436 acres in county Roscommon, 4,052 acres in county Sligo and 328 acres in county Galway. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, he was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Castlemore, Kilnamanagh and Tibohine, barony of Frenchpark and in the parish of Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon. The Cloonshanville estate, forming part of the French Park house demesne, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in February 1870. The Irish Times reported that the lots were purchased in trust for Baroness de Freyne. Over 36,000 acres of the French Park estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in July 1906.
French (Tulsk) This French family are descended from an uncle of the 1st Lord de Freyne of French Park. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William John French's estate was in the parishes of Kilcooley and Ogulla, barony and county of Roscommon. In the 1870s William J. French of Blackhall, Navan, county Meath, owned 1,214 acres in county Roscommon. An estate of 1,220 acres belonging to Captain Peregrine Maitland French, third son of William John French was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 1 Nov 1915.