In the mid 19th century John Reilly prospered in business in the town of Belmullet and began to acquire lands. He bought land that had formerly been in the possession of the Houston and Nash families and in 1868 he leased more than 1000 acres from Reverend Sir William Palmer in the barony of Erris, county Mayo. In 1876 Thomas F.O'Reilly of Carne House, Belmullet, owned 6472 acres in county Mayo. By March 1916 he had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of his estate and Noone writes of the sale of the estate in 1920 to the Board.
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Palmer, 4 July 1862, 17 June & 4 Nov 1870, Vols 66, 97 & 99, MRGS 39/033, 39/0046, 39/0047 (microfilm copies in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Bingham, 4 Nov 1853, Vol 24, MRGS 39/010, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Belmullet Union, 62
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 311
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 355
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 55