Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Palmer

Family title

Baronet


Estate(s)

Name Description
Pugh At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the Pugh family held lands in the parishes of Annagh, Kilcolman and Kilbeagh, barony of Costello, and in the parishes of Lackan and Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo. In 1876 Mrs Elizabeth Jane Pugh of Sligo owned 621 acres in county Mayo. In 1869, Jane Elizabeth Pugh, only daughter and heir of Arthur Pugh of Lissadrone, married Jonathon Rashleigh of Menabilly, Cornwall and Lissadrone passed into the possession of the Rashleigh family.
Kelly (Midfield) At the time of the first Ordnance Survey in the 1830s Kellys held part of Longfield in the parish of Templemore, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, by lease from Sir William H. Palmer to the heirs of Patrick Kelly. Mrs Kelly resided at Longfield House. Patrick Kelly, a middleman, also held Treanlaur, in the parish of Kilconduff, barony of Gallen, leased from Sir William Brabazon.
O'Donnell (Swineford) An estate in the parish of Kilconduff, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, held by the O'Donnells from the Palmer family, baronets. William O'Donnell was in possession of six townlands at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Ó Cochlain writes that what was left of the estate was taken over by the Congested Districts Board in 1913.
Palmer The Palmer family held extensive estates in counties Mayo and Sligo, some of which they were granted by royal patent dated 1684. Other lands were acquired from other grantees and landowners such as Henry Webb, Gerrard Colley, Richard Thompson and the Gores, Cuffs and Veseys. The Palmer's Mayo estates were concentrated in the barony of Tirawley, but they also had land in the baronies of Gallen, Burrishoole and Murrisk. Lane notes that Thomas Ormsby acted as agent for these estates. The Palmers bought a large estate in the barony of Erris from the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1857 but resold it in the 1860s. These lands had previously been leased by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to Alexander George Richey. In 1870 lands in the Barony of Erris were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The purchasers included Messers Ker St. George and Whyte, both in trust. In January 1872 Mr. John McCormack bought over 130 acres of the Palmer lands at Froghill. The Palmer's estates in Sligo were usually administered by an agent. In 1876 the Palmers owned over 80,000 acres in county Mayo, 9,570 in county Sligo and 4,202 in county Dublin. The Palmer estate in county Mayo was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in 1916. The principal family seat was at Kenure Park, Rush, county Dublin.By his will dated 7 Sept 1907 Sir Roger W.H.Palmer left the rent and profits from his Mayo and Sligo estates in trust for his wife and thereafter to the male issue of his niece Mary Adela Fenwick. Roderick George Fenwick succeeded his uncle in 1913, took the additional name of Palmer and lived at Cefn Park, Wales, until his death in 1968. After 1909 an offer from the Congested Districts Board for almost 8000 acres in county Sligo was accepted. A large collection of papers from the legal firm of W.J.Shannon and Company relating to the acquisition and history of the Palmer estates was deposited in the National Archives in 1990, Acc.1174.
Goodwin Springhill in the parish of Rathreagh, barony of Tirawley, Co Mayo, was leased from Sir William Palmer by Messrs Goodwin in the early part of the 19th century. Charles Goodwin also held some land in the parish of Ballynahaglish.
Waldron Waldrons of Balla leased three townlands in the parish of Crossmolina, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, from Sir William Roger Palmer. They also held a lease on Farragh House.
Bellingham An estate of 11,810 acres in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court by Reverend Sir William Palmer in 1869 and bought by Sir Alan E. Bellingham. The estate was held on a lease in perpetuity from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to Alexander George Richey dated 1857. Mr Smithwick was the agent. An unsorted manuscript collection in the National Library contains some rentals for the Erris property of the Bellingham family, part of which was known as the Burnshead estate. In 1876 the family also owned 4186 acres in county Louth. The Bellingham estate in county Mayo was sold to the Congested Districts' Board on 23 May 1907.
Reilly In the mid 19th century John Reilly prospered in business in the town of Belmullet and began to acquire lands. He bought land that had formerly been in the possession of the Houston and Nash families and in 1868 he leased more than 1000 acres from Reverend Sir William Palmer in the barony of Erris, county Mayo. In 1876 Thomas F.O'Reilly of Carne House, Belmullet, owned 6472 acres in county Mayo. By March 1916 he had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of his estate and Noone writes of the sale of the estate in 1920 to the Board.
Richey In the mid 19th century Alexander George Richey, historian and author of books on land law, held an estate of about 13,500 acres in the parishes of Kilcommon and Kilmore, barony of Erris, county Mayo, from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, on a lease in perpetuity, the last renewal dated 14 Mar 1857. Two months later the Encumbered Estates' Court conveyed the Richey estate to the Reverend Sir William Palmer. In 1869 and 1870 Palmer resold the estate in parts to Sir Alan Bellingham and John Reilly. In 1876 Alexander Richey owned 64 acres in county Mayo, which was later acquired by the Congested Districts' Board. The Richeys were related to the Brownes of Raheens.
Stuart At the time of the first Ordnance Survey, James Stuart held townlands in the parish and barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo, from Sir Richard O'Donel, the Marquess of Sligo and Sir William Palmer.
Daly (Boghadoon) The Landowners Survey published 1876 records a Thomas Daly owning 1254 acres in county Mayo [Boghadoon, parish of Addergoole, barony of Tirawley, formerly part of the Palmer estate]. Tony Donohoe documents the Daly family of Boghadoon from the early 19th century. They appear to be connected to the Daly family of Castlebar, proprietors of the ''Connaught Telegraph''.
Echlin The Echlin family held land in the Tuam/Dunmore area of county Galway in the early 18th century. Melvin writes that they acquired part of the former Lally estate of Tullinadaly from Baldwin Crowe in 1728. Sir Henry Echlin baronet died in 1725 and was succeeded by his grandson Robert Echlin 2nd baronet. A member of the Echlin family was Dean of Tuam. Elizabeth Echlin daughter of the 2nd baronet married Francis Palmer of Castlelacken, county Mayo, and much of the Echlin property passed to or was bought by the Palmers, including Kenure Park in Dublin. http://www.askaboutireland.ie/show_narrative_page.do?page_id=1342