Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Nash


Estate(s)

Name Description
Nash The Nash family acquired lands on renewable leases for ever from Sir Arthur Shaen in the barony of Erris in the early 18th century. In 1752 Bishop Pococke spent a night with the Nashs on their farm near the old ruined castle of Cloontakilly in the parish of Kilcommon, Bangor Erris locality. In the 19th century they were settled on the Belmullet peninsular at Carn in the parish of Kilmore. In 1846 Elizabeth Elinor Nash, only child and heiress of Arthur Nash, married Denis Bingham of Bingham's Castle. In 1853, in the Encumbered Estates' Court, she sold the lands of Inver, Emlaghbeg and Carn [Nash] to John Reilly.
Reilly In the mid 19th century John Reilly prospered in business in the town of Belmullet and began to acquire lands. He bought land that had formerly been in the possession of the Houston and Nash families and in 1868 he leased more than 1000 acres from Reverend Sir William Palmer in the barony of Erris, county Mayo. In 1876 Thomas F.O'Reilly of Carne House, Belmullet, owned 6472 acres in county Mayo. By March 1916 he had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of his estate and Noone writes of the sale of the estate in 1920 to the Board.
Short At the time of Griffith's Valuation Isabella Short held the lands of Cloontakilla and Attavally and also part of Atticonaun in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo. Noone makes reference to Atticonaun having been in the possession of Major Charles Short and his family from the 1830s. Cloontakilla and Attavally were originally leased by Sir Arthur Shaen to Francis Nash in 1724 and were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in May 1858.