A document in a Galway solicitors' collection records Arthur Pittar Lattey and Robert John Lattey, both of Calcutta, co partners in a jewellery and gold and silver smith business. Robert Lattey, a London lawyer, purchased the Butler of Cregg estate, in the Encumbered Estates court in 1849 and part of Lord Gort's estate in September 1854. Robert John Lattey, whose address is given as Creg Park island, county Galway, owned an estate of 3,469 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. It included lands in the parishes of Killursa and Kilcoona, barony of Clare, which he had purchased from Francis and Walter Butler of Cregg, near Gort, in 1851. Robert John Lattey was the eldest son of Joseph Senior Lattey of Dublin, who worked for the Revenue. R.J. Lattey lived in India for a time, returned to England where he lost money in the bank failures of the 1850s but was able to retain his Irish property. In 1906 Robert Thomas Lattey held an untenanted demesne of over 160 acres and the mansion house at Cregg. Over 1,700 acres of the Lattey estate in county Galway was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 27 Jan 1916. A detailed family history is given at http://lattey.com/
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Ballygeagin House||Ballygeagin||Beagh||Gort||Beagh 98||Kiltartan||Galway||
OSI Ref: R426941
OS Sheet: 128
Discovery map: 52
|Cregg House||Cregg Demesne||Beagh||Gort||Beagh 98||Kiltartan||Galway||
OSI Ref: R433933
OS Sheet: 133
Discovery map: 52
|Bunnahow||Bunnahow||Inchicronan||Gort||Caher 149||Bunratty Upper||Clare||
OSI Ref: R435 930
OS Sheet: 18
Discovery map: 52
- Lattey Papers, contact Lattey and Dawe, solicitors, 21 Liverpool St, London; Private Possession
- Estate records of Denis J. Kirwan and Sons, land agents, Tuam, mid 19th - mid 20th centuries, including account book of rents received, 1909-1921. Acc. No. 5124; National Library of Ireland
- Irish Land Commission, estate of R.T. Lattey in Bunnahow 1917 & maps of the Cregs estate of Lattey, 1838-1904. Small Private Accessions No 1/689. M.1463-1464; National Archives of Ireland
- Joyce, Mackie & Lougheed, auctioneers' collection, includes records relating to the Lattey family in India and at Cregg Castle and Bunnahow, 19th century. D.15854-15876, Co 3495-3502, M.1455-1464; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Gort Union, 19 & 20.
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 261.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 297.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 45
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 319.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 149.
Modern printed sources
- LANE, Pádraig. The Encumbered Estates Court and Galway Land Ownership, 1849-58. In MORAN, Gerard (ed). ''History & Society''. Dublin: Geography Publications, 1996 : 395-419
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': LANE, Pádraig G. Some Galway and Mayo landlords of the mid-nineteenth century. XLV (1993), 70-89
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': LANE, Pádraig G. The General Impact of the Encumbered Estates Act of 1849 on Counties Galway and Mayo. XXXIII (1972), 44-74
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': LANE, Padraig G. Purchasers of land in counties Galway and Mayo in the Encumbered Estates court, 1849-1858. XLIII (1991), p. 111-112