Members of the Crampton family were rectors of the parishes of Headford on the border between counties Mayo and Galway and of the parish of Cong, county Mayo. They were also agents to the Carter family in the barony of Erris, county Mayo and helped develop the town of Belmullet. They appear to have acquired ownership of at least one townland named Carn Fowler in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Erris. In the 1870s George Ribton Crampton of Dublin and Logmore owned almost 600 acres in county Mayo.
- Crampton family correspondence and papers. MSS 4176-4178; Trinity College Dublin
- West Collection, includes leases of land in the barony of Kilmaine, by Martin D'Arcy to Rev Cecil Crampton & Patrick & Martin Gibbons, 1812. Small Accs. Index 82, D.12,631 G-I; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 308
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 105
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 51 & 53
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 193
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1886: 340-341
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': LANE, Padraig G. Purchasers of land in counties Galway and Mayo in the Encumbered Estates court, 1849-1858. XLIII (1991), p. 101.