Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Crampton

Description

A family of clerics, doctors and diplomats, one member was created a baronet in 1839.


Estate(s)

Name Description
D'Arcy (Houndswood) John D'Arcy was granted almost 1,700 acres in the baronies of Ross and Athenry, county Galway and in the baronies of Kilmaine and Clanmorris, county Mayo by patent dated 6 July 1677. In February 1700 the trustees for the sale of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport sold Aghalard, Ballykine and other townlands in parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, to Patrick D'Arcy of Gorteen, a townland just east of Houndswood, parish of Cong, for £1300. Gorteen and Houndswood were held on lease from the Archbishop of Tuam. By the early 19th century the D'Arcys held about 14 townlands in the parish of Cong and employed two agents Patrick Kirwan of Carnan, Tuam, county Galway and Patrick Haggan. In 1852 the estate was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court.
Crampton Members of the Crampton family were rectors of the parishes of Headford on the border between counties Mayo and Galway and of the parish of Cong, county Mayo. They were also agents to the Carter family in the barony of Erris, county Mayo and helped develop the town of Belmullet. They appear to have acquired ownership of at least one townland named Carn Fowler in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Erris. In the 1870s George Ribton Crampton of Dublin and Logmore owned almost 600 acres in county Mayo.