In 1853 John Galway Holmes bought 271 acres of Carraghy, parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway, from Thomas Boyce. In the 1870s he owned 461 acres in county Galway. An offer on over 100 acres of the estate of A & H.W. Holmes was accepted from the Congested Districts Board in 1915. The Holmes family remained in possession of the Rockwood estate until after WWI, during which two of their sons were killed. Following an attack on the house during the Civil War the family moved to Galway City.
- Solicitors' records from office of S. and R.C. Walker, includes deeds and abstract of title re Holmes of Caraghy, barony of Clare, c 1860s-1870s. Small Accessions Index, No. 30. Bundle 14 & deposit of 26 Jan 1938 Bundle 15, No. 430-438; National Archives of Ireland
- Rockwood House. Photograph. 131/020.; Irish Architectural Archive
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 296
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Galway Union, 178.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 313.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 47.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 151.