Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Donnell (Kilcommon Erris)

Some of the O'Donnell family of Ulster moved south into the barony of Erris in the 17th century and further south into the barony of Burrishoole by the mid 18th century. A branch of the family became established at Termoncarra and in the Pollatomish area of North Mayo where they leased land from the Protestant Bishop of Killala in the 1770s. The lease was converted into a fee farm grant from the Ecclestiastical Commissioners in 1860 and the estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in May 1872. In 1876 Dominick O'Donel of Kilcommon Lodge owned 1461 acres in county Mayo. Matilda O'Donnell subleased her church lands to Thomas Hutchins. The estate of 1457 acres was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 31 Mar 1913.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Kilcommon Lodge Kilcommon or Pollatomish Kilcommon Belmullet Knockalower 53 Erris Mayo OSI Ref: F827 368
OS Sheet: 11
Discovery map: 22

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), O’Donnell, 9 Feb 1854, Vol 26, MRGS 39/011, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), O’Donel, 3 May 1872, Vol 106, MRGS 39/049, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), O’Donel, 19 July 1856, Vol 41, MRGS 39/019, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Hutchins, 26 June & 23 July 1864, Vols 68 & 69, MRGS 39/034 & 39/035, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Hutchins, 24 Mar 1865 & 6 July 1866, Vols 75 & 82, MRGS 39/037 & 39/040, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources