Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Donnell (Kilcommon Erris)


Estate(s)

Name Description
O'Donnell (Kilcommon Erris) Some of the O'Donnell family of Ulster moved south into the barony of Erris in the 17th century and further south into the barony of Burrishoole by the mid 18th century. A branch of the family became established at Termoncarra and in the Pollatomish area of North Mayo where they leased land from the Protestant Bishop of Killala in the 1770s. The lease was converted into a fee farm grant from the Ecclestiastical Commissioners in 1860 and the estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in May 1872. In 1876 Dominick O'Donel of Kilcommon Lodge owned 1461 acres in county Mayo. Matilda O'Donnell subleased her church lands to Thomas Hutchins. The estate of 1457 acres was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 31 Mar 1913.