Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Leahy (Bear)

The county Cork estate of the Leahy family in the Bantry area and at Macroom and Cork was held from the Earls of Bantry and is documented in the Bantry Papers. The will of Thomas Leahy dated 1814 refers to the county Cork lands he purchased and leased from Lord Bantry (Bantry Papers BL/EP/B/309). His son Daniel F. Leahy was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilcatherine and Killaconenagh, barony of Bear, county Cork at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s Thomas J. Leahy of Cork owned 4,874 acres in county Cork. In the 1880s the Leahy estate passed to the descendants of Clement Carroll who had married Eliza Leahy in the early 19th century. By March 1916 an offer from the Congested Districts' Board had been accepted for 4,052 acres of the estate of Thomas J. Leahy.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Woodfort Kilvealaton East Kilshannig Mallow Kilshannig 248 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: W532 972
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 80
Brandy Hall Derrymihin West Killaconenagh Bantry Bear Cork OSI Ref: V683462
OS Sheet: 115
Discovery map: