The Armstrongs owned an estate of 1,520 acres in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway from at least the mid 19th century. John Armstrong's address was Clooncunny, Creggs in the 1870s. Over 1,500 acres of John S. Armstrong's estate in county Galway was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in March 1913.
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Glennamaddy Union, 99
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 293
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 10
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 44
- WALFORD, Edward. 'The County families of the United Kingdom''. London: Chatto & Windus, 1885): p.28