In the 1870s John Hynes and William J. Hynes both of Ballinasloe owned over 4,000 acres in county Roscommon, mainly in the parish of Creagh, barony of Moycarn. They appear to have bought the estate of the Kellys of Creagh. An estate of over 2,700 acres belonging to the John W. Hynes in county Roscommon was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in June 1913.
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 230
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 316
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 375
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 59