Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kelly (Creagh)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Kelly (Creagh) Six generations of this family lived in the parish of Creagh, county Roscommon, from the early 18th century. Egan notes that they had held lands in the area prior to 1641 and continued to hold a portion after the Restoration. Kelly records that Laughlin Kelly built Woodmount House in 1783. In 1853 his great grandson, John Kelly, sold the property and emigrated to Australia.
D'Arcy (Castlepark) Major John Talbot D'Arcy of Castlepark, Ballinasloe, county Roscommon, owned 1961 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. Castlepark was formerly a Kelly house. Castlepark and 1,114 acres in the barony of Moycarn with the lands of Turrock in the barony of Athlone were advertised for sale by John D'Arcy in 1878. John Talbot D'Arcy was a son of John D'Arcy of Clifden and Kiltullagh and a younger brother of the Reverend Hyacinth D'Arcy. In 1846 John Talbot D'Arcy married Jane daughter and co heiress of Daniel Kelly of Cargins, county Roscommon.
Hynes (Woodmount) In the 1870s John Hynes and William J. Hynes both of Ballinasloe owned over 4,000 acres in county Roscommon, mainly in the parish of Creagh, barony of Moycarn. They appear to have bought the estate of the Kellys of Creagh. An estate of over 2,700 acres belonging to the John W. Hynes in county Roscommon was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in June 1913.