Landed Estates
NUI Galway

D'Arcy (Castlepark)

Major John Talbot D'Arcy of Castlepark, Ballinasloe, county Roscommon, owned 1961 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. Castlepark was formerly a Kelly house. Castlepark and 1,114 acres in the barony of Moycarn with the lands of Turrock in the barony of Athlone were advertised for sale by John D'Arcy in 1878. John Talbot D'Arcy was a son of John D'Arcy of Clifden and Kiltullagh and a younger brother of the Reverend Hyacinth D'Arcy. In 1846 John Talbot D'Arcy married Jane daughter and co heiress of Daniel Kelly of Cargins, county Roscommon.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Castle Park House Cuilleen Creagh Ballinasloe Creagh 21 Moycarn Roscommon OSI Ref: M901333
OS Sheet: 54
Discovery map: 47
Cargins Park Cargin Demesne Ogulla Strokestown Ogulla 97 Roscommon Roscommon OSI Ref: M831 801
OS Sheet: 28
Discovery map: 33

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), French & Kelly, 25 May 1852 & 25 Jan 1853, Vols 15 & 20, MRGS 39/007 & 39/009, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), D'Arcy, 18 Jan 1878, Vol 131, MRGS 39/059, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources