George Vesey of Castlebar held the townland of Cahernabrock, parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo and some lands in the parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris, in the mid 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Vesey held about 16 townlands in the parish of Tuam and one townland in the parish of Liskeevy, barony of Dunmore, four townlands in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin and two townlands in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, all in county Galway. The Vesey's title to their estate in the barony of Dunmore derived from the purchase of the Lally estate by John Vesey, Archbishop of Tuam, from the Commissioners for the sale of forfeited estates in 1702. In the 1870s George Vesey of Long Ditton, Kingston-on-Thames owned 2,227 acres in county Mayo and 6,061 acres in county Galway. Parts of the Vesey's county Galway estate were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 31 Mar 1913 and 5 Feb 1914 and the county Mayo estate on 24 Mar 1915.
- de Vesci Papers, Collection List 89; National Library of Ireland
- History of the United Parishes of Kilkerrin and Clonbern by Rev P.J. Waldron, 1943. P35/09/03, 43; Tuam Diocesan Archives, Tuam
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 459
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 300 & 312
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 43, 45 & 54
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Tuam Union, 18
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 378
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: II, 648 (Tullinadaly - James Kirwan)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 148.