Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Vesey (Castlebar)

George Vesey of Castlebar held the townland of Cahernabrock, parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo and some lands in the parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris, in the mid 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Vesey held about 16 townlands in the parish of Tuam and one townland in the parish of Liskeevy, barony of Dunmore, four townlands in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin and two townlands in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, all in county Galway. The Vesey's title to their estate in the barony of Dunmore derived from the purchase of the Lally estate by John Vesey, Archbishop of Tuam, from the Commissioners for the sale of forfeited estates in 1702. In the 1870s George Vesey of Long Ditton, Kingston-on-Thames owned 2,227 acres in county Mayo and 6,061 acres in county Galway. Parts of the Vesey's county Galway estate were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 31 Mar 1913 and 5 Feb 1914 and the county Mayo estate on 24 Mar 1915.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Castletown Castletown Tuam Tuam Killeen 220 Dunmore Galway OSI Ref: M442 578
OS Sheet: 29
Discovery map: 39

Archival sources

  • de Vesci Papers, Collection List 89; National Library of Ireland
  • History of the United Parishes of Kilkerrin and Clonbern by Rev P.J. Waldron, 1943. P35/09/03, 43; Tuam Diocesan Archives, Tuam

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources