Landed Estates
NUI Galway
Reference Source

Bary, Valerie. ''Historical Genealogical Architectural notes of some Houses of Kerry'' Whitegate, county Clare: Ballinakella Press, 1994.

Source Details

Category Modern printed sources

Estate Records Citing this Source

Found 92 estate records citing this source.

Reference Estate Name Estate Description
152 (Killaha House), 227 (Summerhill), 233 (Tomies) O'Donoghue The family were of ancient Gaelic origin who had forfeited much of their lands after the Desmond reb...
203-204 McGillycuddy The McGillycuddy of the Reeks is an ancient title from the Gaelic tradition, believed to be descende...
3 (Aghadoe House & Cottage), 91-92 (Curragh), 124-125 (Glenbeigh Towers), 180-181 (Meanus House), Winn The Winns were originally a Yorkshire family. Their main seat was at Nostell Priory, near Wakefield....
238 (Dooneen), 160 (Knockanecoolteen), 153-4 (Kenmare/Killarney House), 101 (Drom Hall), 228 (Sunday’s Well), 39 (Ballynamaunagh), 100 (Dromadeesirt Cottage), 119 (Freemount Lodge), 86 (Coom Wood Cottage), 87 (Corbally House) Browne (Kenmare) Smith states that Sir Valentine Browne was granted over 6000 acres in county Kerry after the Desmond...
39 (Ballynagare), 109 (Faha), 136 (Gortroe) Bernard/Morrogh-Bernard According to Burke, Edward Murrough married Martha Bernard of the county Kerry family and their son...
58 (Caherdean House) 234 (Torc Cottage), 188 (Muckross House), 133 (Grenagh), 148 (Kilcow) Herbert (Muckross) The Herberts were granted land in Kerry during the reign of Elizabeth I. Smith indicates that two me...
133 (Grenagh), 69-70 (Castlelough) Lawlor Denis Lawlor was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Knockane, barony of Dunkerron North,...
19 (Bahoss), 20 (Ballinablown), 96 (Derrynane Abbey), 133 (Grenagh), 138 (Hillgrove), 65-66 (Lakeview), 169-170 (Lickeen), 241 (Waterview) O'Connell The O’Connells are an ancient Gaelic family, whom Burke claims had their origins in county Clare, be...
137 McCarthy (Headfort) In the 1830s the Ordnance Survey Name Books mention Denis McCarty as the proprietor of townlands in...
.55 (Bunnanier), 97 (Derryquin), 99 (Drimna House), 140 (Hollywood), 195-196 (Parknasilla), 172-173 (Liss Cottage), 217-218 (Scart), 246 (Woodlawn) Bland (Derryquin) The Blands were originally a Yorkshire family who settled in Kerry in the early 18th century. Franci...
59 (Cahernane), 84-85 (South Hill or Coolclogher House), 53 (Bridgeview), 115 (Flesk Cottage), 116 (Flesk Lodge), 53 (Brewsterfield House), 154 (Killeentierna Glebe) Herbert (Cahernane) The Herberts of Cahernane descended from the same family as those at Muckross. Smith indicates that...
111 Hussey (Corkaguiny) Members of the Hussey family held property in several parishes in the parish of Corkaguiny at the ti...
12 (Ardmoneel Cottage), 144 (Keel), 161 (Knockglass) Rae Members of the Rae family, whose estate was centred on Keel House, Castlemaine, held over 5000 acres...
46 (Beaufort), 174-5 (Lohercannon), 178 (Magh), 211 (Roseland Cottage), 247 (Woodville) Day Though Burke suggests the Day family came from Suffolk O'Carroll states that their origin is somewha...
41 (Ballyseedy), 74-75 (Churchtown), 209-210 (Riverville), 220 (Shanvally) Blennerhassett (Ballyseedy & Beaufort) Smith states that the Blennerhassett family were originally from Cumbria, in the north of England. T...
72 (Castlequin) 91 (Cullenagh), 106 (Dunloe Castle) Mahony (Dunkerron North) The Mahonys were originally a Gaelic Irish family, various branches of which held lands in Cork, Ker...
130-131 (Gortnaskerry House), 184-185 (Mount Eagle Lodge) Drummond In the 1870s Robert Drummond’s estate in Kerry amounted to more than 29,000 acres. The Drummond esta...
8 (Annaghgarry & Annadale), 218-219 (Seamount), 145 (Kells House) Blennerhassett (Killorglin) This branch of the Blennerhassett family acquired lands around Killorglin which had formerly been pa...
242 (West Cove) Hartopp Edward Bourchier Hartopp of Dalby House, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, was the grandson of Edward...
67 (Castlecove), 172-173 (Liss Cottage), 217-218 (Scart House) Jermyn William Jermyn was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilcrohane, barony of Dunkerron Sou...
103 (Dromore Castle), 54-55 (Buncar House) Mahony (Dunkerron South) This branch of the ancient Gaelic family of O'Mahony is descended from the county Cork family of Kin...
78-79 (Cloontoo), 105-106 (Dunkerron) Taylor (Dunkerron South) Lewis records Dr. Taylor, an eminent member of the Cork Scientific Institution, as resident at Dunke...
95-96 (Derreen), 222 (Shelburne Lodge), Petty-Fitzmaurice (Marquess of Lansdowne) This estate owes its origins to Sir William Petty, renowned cartographer, mathematician and scientis...
15 (Ardtully House), 54 (Bridgeville Park), 156 (Killowen House), 223 (Sillahertane), 247 (Woodville) Orpen (Glanarought) Burke describes the Orpen family as claiming great antiquity. They settled in Ireland after the Crom...
149 (Kilfaddamore House), 226 (Srugreana) McCarthy (Glanarough & Iveragh) Timothy McCarthy, MD. was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilgarvan at the time of Gri...
223-224. Warren (Warren's Court) Robert Warren, an army officer, established himself in the East Carberry area of county Cork in the...
241-242 Butler (Waterville) The Waterville branch of the Butler family descended from Whitwell Butler who married into the Yield...
169-170 (Lickeen House) Newton (Iveragh) Francis Newton was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Glanbehy, barony of Iveragh, at the...
113 (Fermoyle Castle) Sugrue Charles Sugure was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Prior, barony of Iveragh, at the ti...
23 (Ballinruddery), 123 (Glanleam) Fitzgerald (Knight of Kerry) According to the late Desmond Fitzgerald, last Knight of Glin, county Limerick, three of the cadet b...
162(Knocknaseed), 193 (The Park), 202 (Rathmore), 223 (Shinnagh) Cronin (Park) The Cronins, descended from a Gaelic family, appear to have been settled in the Killarney area sinc...
88-89 (Courteene Hall), 160 (Knockanacoolteen), 245 (Woodford House) Curtayne Mary Curtayne was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Killaha, barony of Magunihy, at the...
114-115 Coltsmann The Coltsmann estate originated with John Coltsmann, an English merchant who came to Ireland in the...
116 Coxon John Stuart Coxon, of Flesk Priory, Killarney, was one of the subscribers to Lewis Directory in 1837...
32 (Ballyhar), 84 (Coolclogher) Leahy The Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to townlands in Aghadoe parish being leased by John Leahy of So...
32 Eager The Eager family in Kerry are believed to be descended from Alexander Eager, originally from Queen's...
1 (Abbeylands), 12 (Ardfert Abbey), 25-26 (Ballyard House),118 (Fortwilliam) 216 (Sackville), 235 (Tubrid) Crosbie/Talbot-Crosbie (Ardfert) Reverend John Crosbie, bishop of Ardfert in the early 1600s, was the common ancestor of the Crosbies...
243 Mulchinock Edward Mulchinock was the owner of over 600 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. John Mulchinock was...
118-119 (Cloghane Lodge) Conway (Kerry) The Conway family were the recipients of large estates under the Elizabethan settlement. Smith indic...
9 (Arabela), 48 (Belmont) 200 (Rathanny House), 225 (Spring Lodge) Rowan (Kerry) Rev. Arthur Rowan was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballymacelligott and Ratass, ba...
40-41 (Ballyroe), 43 ( Barrow), 119-120 (Frogmore), 170 (Lisadale Lodge), (173-4 (Listrim), 196 (Plover Hill) Denny Smith indicates that the first Sir Edward Denny was granted over 6000 acres in county Kerry after th...
158 (Kilmurray House), 157 (Kilmorna House), 102 (Dromin House) Raymond Smith indicates that Anthony Raymond was granted estates in Kerry under the Act of Settlement in 166...
200 (Rathanny) Peate/Peet Francis Peet of Ballybrannagh, Tralee, owned over 600 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. The Ordnan...
224-5 (Spring Hill), 167 (Leebrook), 214 (Roxborough) Chute It appears that this family owes its origins in county Kerry to George Chute, a soldier in the Engli...
30-31 (Ballydowny) Mason (Kerry) At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, St. John Mason was one of the principal lessors in the parish o...
178-9 (Maglass) Ledmond William Ledmond was the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Nohaval, barony of Trughanacmy,...
178-9 (Magh & Maglass) Sealy In the 1870s Deborah Sealy of Tralee held less than 100 acres in county Kerry. The Sealys had held l...
29 (Ballycarty) Nash The Nash family held an estate in the barony of Trughanacmy in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuri...
36 (Ballymacadam), 60-61 (Callanafersy), 73 (Castleview), (89-90 (Crag), 232-233 (Tobermaing), 152 (Killaha House), 154 (Killeen) Leeson Robert Leeson was associated with properties in mid and south Kerry at the time of Griffith's Valuat...
8-9 (Annamore), 97-98 (Dicksgrove) 194 (Parkmore) Meredith (Dysert) Richard Meredith was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Castleisland and Killeentierna,...
1 (Abbeylands), 7 (Anna), 126 (Glen Ellen), 146 (KIlburn)147-148 (Kilcolman Abbey), 164 (Laharan) Godfrey (Kilcolman) According to Smith, the first Godfrey to settle in Kerry was John, who was granted an estate under...
154 (Killeen House) Miles (Kerry) Phillip John William Miles, whose address is given as England, was the owner of over 500 acres in co...
46-47 (Beaufort), 56 (Burnham) de Moleyns (Lord Ventry) Smith indicates that Frederick Mullins was granted lands in Dingle, which he named Burnham after the...
31 (Ballyegan), 247 (Woodville) Norris Richard Norris was the lessor of c.400 acres in the parish of Nohaval, barony of Trughanacmy at the...
126 (Glenduff) Hurley/Hurly Burke indicates that the Hurleys originated in county Limerick but acquired land and influence in Ke...
172 (Lisnagonee House), 203 (Rattoo House), 235 (Tubrid) Gun/Gunn The Gun (sometimes spelt Gunn) family were descended from Reverend William Gun, of Limerick, but wer...
33 (Ballyheige Castle), 215 (Rusheen) Crosbie (Ballyheige) Reverend John Crosbie, bishop of Ardfert in the early 1600s, was the common ancestor of the Crosbies...
104 (Duagh) Fitzmaurice (Duagh) The estate of the representatives of Oliver Fitzmaurice amounted to over 2000 acres in county Kerry...
34 (Ballyhorgan House, Ratoo), 39 (Ballynoe) Stoughton/Staughton (Kerry) Thomas Stoughton was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Caher and Dromod, barony of Ive...
148 (Kilcreen Cottage), 230 (Tanavalla House) Elliott Mrs. Mary Elliott, of Tanavalla, Listowel, was the owner of over 500 acres in county Kerry in the 1...
42 (Banemore) Palmer In March 1860, a fee-farm rental, the property of John Palmer, was offered for sale in the Landed Es...
90 (Crotta Big House), 237 (Tullamore) Julian Samuel Julian was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilfeighny, Kilflynn and Kiltomy,...
42 (Banna), 151 (Killacrim) Hare (Listowel) The Hare family had come to Ireland after the Cromwellian settlement and acquired property initiall...
42 (Banna), 63 (Caragh Lodge), 171 (Lismore), 185-186 (Mount Hawk) Stokes The Stokes family first settled in county Limerick in the seventeenth century but gained estates in...
118 (Fortwilliam), 232 (Tieraclea Lodge) Collis The Collis family seem to have become established in county Kerry after the Cromwellian settlement a...
57 (Bushmount) Rice The estate of Justice D. Rice of Bushmount, Causeway, amounted to over 1200 acres in county Kerry in...
17 (Aughanagran) Blacker The estate of St. John Blacker, of Ballylongford and Killylea, county Armagh, amounted to over 8000...
65 (Carrigafoyle Castle), 132 (Greenville), 155 (Killelton House), 187 (Moyvane House), 216 (Sallowglen), Sandes (Iraghticonnor) Smith indicates that Lancelot Sandes was granted an estate in Kerry in 1667 under the Acts of Settle...
155 (Killelton House) Hickie (Killelton & Slevoir) The estate of William Creagh Hickie, of Killelton, amounted to over 3300 acres in county Kerry in th...
168 Wren Smith states that the Wren family in county Kerry were descended from a Cromwellian adventurer named...
215 Leonard (County Cork) In the 1870s, Rev. Samuel Leonard, of Banteer, county Cork, was the owner of over 1200 acres in cou...
35-36(Ballyloughrane House) Stack Eyre Stack was the principal lessor in the parish of Ballyconry, barony of Iraghticonnor, at the tim...
108 (Ennismore House) Hewson (Clanmaurice & Iraghticonnor) In the 1870s the estate of George Hewson, of Ennismore, Listowel, amounted to over 400 acres in coun...
122 (Garryard), 143 (Jane Mount), 157 (Kilmorna) Mahony/Gun-Mahony In the 1870s the estate of George Gun Mahony, of Kilmorna, Listowel, amounted to over 5000 acres in...
237 (Tullamore House) Benn-Walsh (Lord Ormathwaite) The Benn-Walsh family, Walsh baronet and Baron Ormathwaite, had their principal seats in Cumbria and...
230-231 (Tarbert House) Leslie (Tarbert) The Leslies, descended from the Scottish clan, held lands in North Kerry since the seventeenth centu...
191 (Oakpark) Sandes/Collis-Sandes Maurice Sandes was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Brosna, Ratass and Tralee, barony...
187 (Moyvane House) Fitzgerald/Foster Vesey Fitzgerald (Moyriesk) This family of Fitzgeralds was originally Fitzgerald Fitzgibbon but the surname Fitzgibbon was dropp...
241 (Waterview) Trant (Kerry & Tipperary) The Trants had originally held lands in the barony of Corkaguiny, county Kerry but by the early 19th...
87 Spottiswoode In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Field Name Books record that John Spottswood was leasing property...
78 (Cloghers House), 95 (Danesfort), 118 (Fortlands), Colthurst In 1702 Nicholas Colthurst of Ballyally, county Cork, purchased over 1,000 acres from the trustees f...
213 Heard (Cos Cork, Tipperary & Kerry) The Heards were a long established county Cork family stated to have arrived with Sir Walter Raleigh...
60-61. Marshall (County Kerry) John Marshall, son of Robert, assignee to Sir William Petty, was granted 58,701 acres in the barony...
135 (Gortalinny) Duckett (Kenmare) Thomas and Richard Duckett were leasing property in Kenmare parish from Richard Orpen at the time of...
73-73 (Church Hill House) Neligan William John Neligan, a Tralee solicitor, acted as agent for several large estates in county Kerry....
155 (Killehenny Lodge) Fane Lady Burghersh was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballyheige, Kilfeighn and , Kilsh...
159 (Kineigh House) Fitzgerald (Iveragh) The estate of John Fitzgerald amounted to over 800 acres in the 1870s. His estate was one of the pri...
247 (Woodville) Lombard Daniel Lombard of Temple St. Dublin was the owner of over 400 acres in Kerry and over 250 acres in C...
152, 247 Orpen (Killaha Castle) This branch of the Orpen family descend from Samuel Orpen of Woodville, county Kerry and his wife So...
182 (Millford) Supple Edward K. Supple owned over 900 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. In the 1830s, the Ordnance Surve...
p.174 (Lixnaw Old Court) Fitzmaurice (Earl of Kerry) Thomas Fitzmaurice, 1st Earl of Kerry (1668 - 16 March 1741), was the son of William FitzMaurice, 2...