Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hickie (Killelton & Slevoir)

The estate of William Creagh Hickie, of Killelton, amounted to over 3300 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. He was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Aghavallen, barony of Iraghticonnor, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His brother Lieutenant Colonel James Francis Hickie built the present building at Slevoir and owned 1,103 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. He appears to have bought the estate of the Firmans. Lands belonging to Patrick J. Hickie in county Tipperary were sold in the Landed Estates Court in 1872. The purchaser was Patrick Ryan.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Killelton House Killelton Aghavallen Listowel Astee 112 Iraghticonnor Kerry OSI Ref: Q976478
OS Sheet: 2
Discovery map: 63
Slevoir Slevoir Terryglass Borrisokane Terryglass 19 Lower Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: M873 016
OS Sheet: 4
Discovery map: 53

Archival sources

  • c1655-1855: deeds and papers. Contact National Library of Ireland. ; Private Possession
  • Ordnance Survey map of Iraghticonnor barony, showing estate of W.C. Hickie, [n.d]. M.1204. ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Pedigree of Hickie of Killelton, 1641-1856. Genealogical Office Ms.178, 281. ; National Library of Ireland
  • J.H. Montgomery & Son, Solicitor’s Collection, includes Land Judges' Court records re the sale of the estate, late 19th & early 20th centuries. Small Collection Index No 88, CO 2716, CO 2746, CO 2819-2827, CO 2872, CO 2892, CO 2923-2924, CO 2947-2958, M.1195, M.1204; National Archives of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey file, early 1940s, North Tipperary No. 12 (Slevoir); Tipperary Studies Research Library (Archives), Thurles
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey, 1942-43: Parish of Balylongford (Killelton House); Kerry Library, Local History & Archives Section

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources