Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Firman


Estate(s)

Name Description
Hickie (Killelton & Slevoir) The estate of William Creagh Hickie, of Killelton, amounted to over 3300 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. He was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Aghavallen, barony of Iraghticonnor, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His brother Lieutenant Colonel James Francis Hickie built the present building at Slevoir and owned 1,103 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. He appears to have bought the estate of the Firmans. Lands belonging to Patrick J. Hickie in county Tipperary were sold in the Landed Estates Court in 1872. The purchaser was Patrick Ryan.
Firman Thomas Firman of Selby, Yorkshire and of Dublin city inherited the estates of Richard Pierson. His son, John Firman, was "of Ballinderry and Arranhill, county Tipperary". John Firman's estate was valued at £600 in the mid 1770s (Kilboy Papers). John Firman's two sons were Thomas Pierson Firman of Firmount who married a Yorkshire heiress and Richard Flood Firman of Slevoir. The Firman family were related through marriage with the Smith family of Milford and the Biggs family of Castle Biggs.The representatives of Thomas P. Firman held an estate in the parishes of Borrisokane and Terryglass, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary, in the mid 19th century. In May 1852 the Firmount estate, barony of Lower Ormond and the lands of Grange and Clohane, barony of Eliogarty, over 1,300 acres in total, were advertised for sale and appear to have been bought by the Hickies and Delanys. In July 1862 the estate of the administrator of William Firman,, deceased, at Muckloon "now called Firmount", 85 acres in the barony of Lower Ormond, was advertised for sale. The Irish Times reports its purchase in trust for Samuel D. Biggs.
Delany In the 1870s Catherine Delany of Athboy, county Meath owned 629 acres in county Tipperary and John R. Delany of Grennanstown, Athboy owned 546 acres in county Tipperary and 265 acres in county Meath. The return of 1906 records John R. Delany in the parish of Terryglass, barony of Lower Ormond.