Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lawlor

Denis Lawlor was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Knockane, barony of Dunkerron North, and Kilbonane, barony of Magunihy, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. John S. Lawlor was a principal lessor in the parish of Kilcolman at the same time. Three townlands of his estate, together with property in the town of Killarney, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in January 1856. The original lease was from the Bernard estate. Denis Shine Lawlor owned over 1300 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s as well as almost 1000 acres in county Cork parishes of Kilmeen and Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow. The representatives of Martin Lawlor owned over 1000 acres at the same time

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Grenagh House Grenagh Aghadoe Killarney Lahard Magunihy Kerry OSI Ref: V887915
OS Sheet: 65
Discovery map: 78
Castle Lough Castlelough Killarney Killarney Muckross Magunihy Kerry OSI Ref: V971884
OS Sheet: 66
Discovery map: 78
Ardagh Ardagh Killarney Killarney Muckross Magunihy Kerry OSI Ref: V981885
OS Sheet: 66
Discovery map: 78
Gurteenroe House Gurteenroe Kilmocomoge Bantry Bantry Rural 22 Bantry Cork OSI Ref: V993504
OS Sheet: 105
Discovery map: 85

Archival sources

  • Map of the estate of James Lawlor, barony of Iveragh. 1789. 16 H 8(14); National Library of Ireland
  • Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendents of Denis Shine Lawlor, of Castlelough, Killarny, 1891. Genealogical Office Ms.110, 137-8. ; National Library of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Lawlor, 18 January 1856, Vol 38, MRGS 39/0018, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Lease by Hugh Lawlor of of house & lands at Knockercar, barony of Magunihy, to Henry Eager & George Raymond, 1782. D.26,693. ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources