Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Cannon

Henry Cannon bought the village of Kilmaine, county Mayo, and surrounding townlands from the Millers of Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, in the early 19th century. By the time of the first Ordnance Survey the Cannon estate was held by John Fair, executor to his brother-in-law, Henry Cannon. An estate of 1650 acres in the vicinity of Kilmaine, some of it church land, was advertised for sale by John Fair in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852, John William Cannon was the petitioner for the sale. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John E.Cannon owned eleven townlands in the parish of Kilmainemore. In the early 1850s John William Cannon bought the Castlegrove estate in the parish of Kilbennan, barony of Dunmore, county Galway, from the Blakes. Lane indicates that this family also purchased part of the St. George's Urracly estate in 1853. In 1876 John William Cannon of Castlegrove, county Galway, owned 994 acres in county Mayo and 4979 in county Galway. Bateman records " W.J. Cannon" as the owner of a total estate of 5973 acres in counties Galway and Mayo in 1883.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Castlegrove Castlegrove East Kilbennan Tuam Foxhall 218 Dunmore Galway OSI Ref: M377 583
OS Sheet: 16
Discovery map: 39

Archival sources

  • Milford Papers, contact John Ormsby, Milford, Kilmaine, county Mayo; Private Possession
  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Fair, 6 Oct 1852, Vol 18, MRGS 39/008, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Castlegrove photos. 054/020 & 030/056; Irish Architectural Archive

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources