Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Miller (Milford)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ormsby (Ballinamore) The Ballinamore estate, in the parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, was granted to the Ormsbys by patents dated 6 Apr and 6 July 1677. The family had been located in the area for a number of years before that date and purchased land from transplanted persons. Anthony Ormsby of Ballinamore owned 4,492 acres in 1876. Most of the estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in 1917 and the house and demesne were sold in 1938. Three younger sons of Thomas Ormsby of Ballinamore acted as agents to various landlords in the locality and lived at Knockmore, Lakelands and Castlelucas.
Young (Castlerea & Sligo) The Young family held lands in the parish of Drumcliff according to the 1749 Census of Elphin. In 1828 Owen Young of Harristown was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. Rev. John Young is recorded as the owner of over 4000 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. He was, at that time, resident in Dungannon, county Tyrone. In 1879 some of the Rev. Young's property in Castlerea was sold in the Land Judges' Court.James Young, acting as assignee for Samuel and Henry Harpur, offered for sale lands at Cornagh, barony of Carrigallen, county Leitrim, in April 1856. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Robert Young were among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilnamanagh, barony of Frenchpark, county Roscommon and Mrs Robert Young held the townland of Drumatemple in the barony of Ballymoe. In the 1870s James Young of Harristown, Castlerea, owned over 1100 acres in county Roscommon. In 1876 the trustees of James Young's estate offered for sale lands at Castletown, barony of Rosclogher, county Leitrim in the Landed Estates' Court. .
Bourke (Ballynew) The Bourkes of Ballynew, parish of Aglish, near Castlebar, county Mayo, held a small townland from Sir Samuel O'Malley of Kilboyne and later from the Law Life Assurance Society. They advertised the sale of their lease in 1860. The Bourkes also held the townland of Carrowjames, parish of Drum, barony of Carra, which they sold in 1851 to Eliza Mary Jones. In 1864 Mrs Jones was advertising Carrowjames for sale again. Some evidence suggests that a branch of the Miller family of Milford, barony of Kilmaine, were resident at Ballynew from the early 18th century and in 1811 Dorothea Miller married Patrick Bourke of Ballynew.
Coneys (Clifden) The Coneys family were granted lands in the barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway under the Acts of Settlement. Thomas Cunnys of Cleggan, county Galway, was involved in a number of transactions with Colonel John Browne of Westport in the early 18th century. The Cunnis family of Clifden also sheltered James Joseph McDonnell when escaping to America after the 1798 Rebellion. A document in the Milford Papers records them leasing over 900 acres from the Millers in the parish of Ballynakill in 1804. By the early 19th century they were leasing land from John D'Arcy of Clifden at Streamstown in the parish of Omey. In 1814 members of the family were residing at Ardbear, Aughris and Streamstown. The family still live at Streamstown. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Coneys family members held land in the parishes of Ballindoon and Omey, barony of Ballynahinch while Matthew Lewis Coneys held the townland of Ringarraun, parish of Ballyhean, barony of Carra, county Mayo. It was previously in the possession of James Hardiman. In 1865 Coneys advertised Ringarraun for sale in the Landed Estates' Court.
Cannon Henry Cannon bought the village of Kilmaine, county Mayo, and surrounding townlands from the Millers of Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, in the early 19th century. By the time of the first Ordnance Survey the Cannon estate was held by John Fair, executor to his brother-in-law, Henry Cannon. An estate of 1650 acres in the vicinity of Kilmaine, some of it church land, was advertised for sale by John Fair in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852, John William Cannon was the petitioner for the sale. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John E.Cannon owned eleven townlands in the parish of Kilmainemore. In the early 1850s John William Cannon bought the Castlegrove estate in the parish of Kilbennan, barony of Dunmore, county Galway, from the Blakes. Lane indicates that this family also purchased part of the St. George's Urracly estate in 1853. In 1876 John William Cannon of Castlegrove, county Galway, owned 994 acres in county Mayo and 4979 in county Galway. Bateman records " W.J. Cannon" as the owner of a total estate of 5973 acres in counties Galway and Mayo in 1883.
Miller (Milford) A family of Cromwellian settlers who were granted over 1,000 acres in the parishes of Kilmainemore and Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo in 1667. Originally established at Ballycusheen they settled at Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, in the early 18th century. They also held lands along the shore of Killary harbour in the 18th century from the Blakes of Renvyle and inherited part of the Cloghastookeen estate, parish of Kilconickny, barony of Dunkellin, county Galway, through marriage with a Croasdaile heiress. Croasdaile Bowen Miller is recorded as one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilconickny, barony of Dunkellin, in 1855. In 1876 the Milford estate was comprised of 1404 acres in county Mayo and 651 acres in county Galway. It was reduced in size by sales to the Congested Districts' Board and the Land Commission but the Ormsby family, who inherited the property from the Millers early in the 20th century, still farm 300+ acres. This is one of the few county Mayo estates still in the possession of the descendants of the original grantees.
Thomson The Salrock/Salruck estate, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, originally belonged to the Miller family of Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, county Mayo. In 1803 it was estimated to contain approximately 8000 statute acres stretching along the western coastline from the Killary Harbour to Cleggan. In 1815 Colonel Alexander Thomson married the widow of General Charles Miller who was killed in the Peninsular War. Colonel Thomson had some claim on the Milford estate and after a protracted law suit he purchased in lieu of this claim the Salruck property in the early 1830s. Members of his family continued to follow military careers and one of them was agent to Mitchell Henry at Kylemore Abbey. In 1876 the Thomsons still owned an estate of over 8000 acres in county Galway. 1332 acres of their estate was sold to the Congested Districts' Board on 2 Apr 1897 and by March 1916 a final offer for a further 7,819 acres had been accepted by the family. Alexander Thomson leased 13 acres of Illaunroe to Sir William Wilde in 1853 and the farm of Dernasliggan, 250 acres on the edge of the Killary, to Alexander C. Lambert in 1854. Descendants of the family still live at Salruck House and own some land in the locality.
Joyce (Gortnarup) Late 18th century leases in the Milford Papers record Roger Joyce of Gortnarup, parish and barony of Ross, county Galway, renting a large amount of the Miller of Milford's estate situated along the coast in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, which later became the property of the Thomson family. He also leased land in the barony of Ross in the mid 18th century from Sir Ulick Blake of Menlough, county Galway. Roger Joyce of Rupfield was buried in Rosshill cemetery, Clonbur in 17[77].
Kirwan (Blindwell) Descended from a younger son of the Kirwans of Gardenfield, the Kirwans of Blindwell, built up a substanial estate in the 18th century. Martin Staunton Kirwan held 2 townlands and islands in the parish of Kilcummin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway at the time of Griffith's Valuation and his Blindwell estate included lands in the parishes of Kilconla and Dunmore, baronies of Dunmore and Ballymoe. The Kirwans had intermarried with the Lynchs of Drimcong and the Moycullen property may have come into the family as a result. The Kirwans owned almost 7,000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. The male line of this family died out in 1881 following the death of Thomas Staunton Kirwan. His widow married Ormsby Bowen Miller of Milford in 1890 and they lived at Blindwell in the early 20th century. By March 1916 Mrs Miller had accepted offers from the Congested Districts' Board for over 5,000 acres of her estate.
Croasdaile The Croasdaile family had acquired property in the parish of Kilconickny, barony of Dunkellin, county Galway through the marriage of Thomas Croasdaile and a member of the Waddington family of Cloghstoken/Cloghastookeen in the 17th century. This estate was part of the property of the Miller family of Milford, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo in the 19th century. The Croasdailes also bought land in the barony of Leitrim, county Galway, from the sale of part of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport, county Mayo at the end of the 17th century. Thomas Croasdaile of Cloghstoken also bought nearly 2,000 Irish acres in the barony of Tulla, county Clare in 1705 from Charles Boyle, 3rd Earl of Cork. He married Mercy Ringrose of Moynoe, Scarriff, county Clare and left a number of daughters as his heiresses.
Miller (Fearmore) At the time of Griffith's Valuation John B. Miller held the townland of Fearmore, parish and barony of Dunmore, county Galway, which lies adjacent to Birmingham demesne. John B. Miller may possibly have been a connection of the Millers of Milford, near Kilmaine, county Mayo.