Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Blake (Castlegrove)

Description

Descended from the Blakes of Ardfry, this branch of the Blake family include the residences of Castlegrove, Kilcloghans and Newborough.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cannon Henry Cannon bought the village of Kilmaine, county Mayo, and surrounding townlands from the Millers of Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, in the early 19th century. By the time of the first Ordnance Survey the Cannon estate was held by John Fair, executor to his brother-in-law, Henry Cannon. An estate of 1650 acres in the vicinity of Kilmaine, some of it church land, was advertised for sale by John Fair in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852, John William Cannon was the petitioner for the sale. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John E.Cannon owned eleven townlands in the parish of Kilmainemore. In the early 1850s John William Cannon bought the Castlegrove estate in the parish of Kilbennan, barony of Dunmore, county Galway, from the Blakes. Lane indicates that this family also purchased part of the St. George's Urracly estate in 1853. In 1876 John William Cannon of Castlegrove, county Galway, owned 994 acres in county Mayo and 4979 in county Galway. Bateman records " W.J. Cannon" as the owner of a total estate of 5973 acres in counties Galway and Mayo in 1883.
Blake (Castlegrove) By his will (1612) Robert Blake of Ardfry left the lands of Castlegrove or Fartigare as they were originally known, in the barony of Dunmore, county Galway, to his seventh son, Andrew Blake. In the mid 18th century Dominick Blake of Castlegrove married Frances, daughter of Nicholas, 5th Viscount Netterville, as his first wife. Their second son founded the Blake family of Newborough. The Blakes of Canada are descended from Dominick Blake's second marriage. Castlegrove, an estate of over 2,300 acres belonging to Edward Blake, was advertised for sale in November 1852 and bought by John W. Cannon. Edward Blake still held land in the parishes of Killererin, Dunmore and Tuam at the time of Griffith's Valuation. An Edward Blake of Belgium owned 924 acres in county Galway and 1698 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. Netterville Blake of Newborough, parish of Kilbennan, barony of Dunmore, county Galway, second son of Dominick Blake of Castlegrove, had a large family of 14 children. His third son Arthur Netterville Blake lived at Kilcloghan House, north of Tuam and held the 93 acres of the townland of Mount Potter in fee, presumably having bought it from Jeremiah Tully in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1850. Martin Blake writes that Arthur's younger brother James Netterville Blake, a doctor, lived at Newborough. The Blakes held Newborough from Patrick Crean Lynch. Lands at Lisnanny and Ballyroe, barony of Dunmore, amounting to 656 acres and 218 at Burris, barony of Clanmorris in county Mayo were advertised for sale by the trustees of Margaret Blake widow of James Netterville Blake in 1851.
Atkinson (Co Galway) In the 1870s James Netterville Atkinson of Ashley Park, county Tipperary, owned 961 acres in county Galway as well as a 2,000+ estate in county Tipperary. He was a grandson of Anthony Atkinson and his wife Catherine, a Blake of Castlegrove, parish of Kilbennan, barony of Dunmore, county Galway.