Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lewin (Cloghans)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cannon Henry Cannon bought the village of Kilmaine, county Mayo, and surrounding townlands from the Millers of Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, in the early 19th century. By the time of the first Ordnance Survey the Cannon estate was held by John Fair, executor to his brother-in-law, Henry Cannon. An estate of 1650 acres in the vicinity of Kilmaine, some of it church land, was advertised for sale by John Fair in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852, John William Cannon was the petitioner for the sale. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John E.Cannon owned eleven townlands in the parish of Kilmainemore. In the early 1850s John William Cannon bought the Castlegrove estate in the parish of Kilbennan, barony of Dunmore, county Galway, from the Blakes. Lane indicates that this family also purchased part of the St. George's Urracly estate in 1853. In 1876 John William Cannon of Castlegrove, county Galway, owned 994 acres in county Mayo and 4979 in county Galway. Bateman records " W.J. Cannon" as the owner of a total estate of 5973 acres in counties Galway and Mayo in 1883.
Costello (Cloghansmore) In 1851 Martin P.Costello bought Lot 3, Cloghansmore and Knockroe, parish of Kilmainemore, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from the sale of the Lewin estate in the Encumbered Estates' Court. In 1876 he owned 533 acres in county Mayo.
Lewin (Cloghans) A family who were settled on the Galway/Mayo border at Cloghans, parish of Kilmainemore, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from the mid 17th century, which according to Burke's ''Landed Gentry'' they purchased in 1663. By the mid 19th century the Lewin estate was mainly in the parishes of Kilcommon and Kilmainemore, county Mayo and Kilconla, barony of Dunmore, county Galway. In October 1851, Kilshanvoy, an estate of 1266 acres in county Galway held from the Bishop of Meath and 890 acres in the parish of Kilcommon, county Mayo were advertised for sale by the Lewin family in the Encumbered Estates' Court, however only Knockroe and Cloghansmore appear to have been sold to Martin P.Costello. The Lewins still retained much the same acreage in both counties in 1876. Some information about the early 20th century generation of this family may be found in the Tighe of Rosanna Papers.
Golding/Goulding In the early part of the 19th century Moyne Lodge, part of the estate of the Blakes of Merlin Park, in the parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, was occupied by Richard Golding, the proprietor of a large corn mill, brewery and distillery in the village of Shrule. He held some land in the vicinity, including Liss in the parish of Killeany, barony of Clare and townlands in the parishes of Addergoole and Dunmore, barony of Dunmore, county Galway and was agent to the Lewins at Cloghans. In the 1870s John Goulding of Carnane, Tuam, owned 804 acres in county Galway, Hyacinth Goulding of Dunmore owned 238 acres and Richard Goulding of Shrule owned 214 acres. In 1893 lands amounting to over a thousand acres in the barony of Kiltartan, county Galway, belonging to Hyacinth Golding and others were advertised for sale.
Ross-Lewin (Ross Hill) The Ross-Lewin estate was in the parishes of Kilchreest and Killadysert, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare. George Ross of Fortfergus, parish of Kilchreest, county Clare, was High Sheriff of county Clare in 1664. John Ross-Lewin of Fortfergus was High Sheriff in 1724 and in the 18th century the Ross-Lewins intermarried with the Westropps, Stacpooles and the Lewins of county Mayo. Harrison Ross-Lewin, High Sheriff in 1755, had six sons, the three eldest John, George and Westropp lived at Fortfergus, Ross Hill and Cornfield respectively. By the mid 19th century Fortfergus and Cornfield were in the possession of Major William Ball and Ross Hill became the family seat in county Clare. The Lewin lands were in the parishes of Kilchreest and Killadysert, barony of Clonderalaw in the mid 19th century. In the 1870s three members of the Ross-Lewin family between them owned over 800 acres in county Clare. The Ross Hill estate appears to have been small at about 270 acres. Members of the Ross-Lewin family followed military or clerical careers.