Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bagot (Bagotstown, Ballyturin & Aghrane/Castlekelly)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cuff Sir James Cuff was granted the town and lands of Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, under the Acts of Settlement, date of grant 1 Feb 1667. Under this grant he was given 1,872 acres in county Mayo which included lands in the baronies of Kilmaine and Carra and 1,963 acres in the county Galway baronies of Longford, Dunkellin, Clare and Ross. He also received a small parcel of land in county Clare. By a further grant dated 27 May 1669 he received smaller acreages in the baronies of Kilmaine and Tirawley, county Mayo and in the baronies of Longford and Ballymoe, county Galway. He also received grants of lands in the parish of Kilmainemore, barony of Kilmaine and in the parishes of Kilbelfad and Crossmolina, barony of Tirawley. His son Gerald Cuff, collector of quit rents, bought land from Colonel John Browne of Westport, near Belcarra, barony of Carra and built Elmhall. He was succeeded by James Cuff of Elmhall and Ballinrobe Castle, who, in 1731, married Elizabeth, sister of Arthur Gore, 1st Earl of Arran. It was their son, James Cuff of Ballinrobe, who was created Baron Tyrawley of Ballinrobe in 1797. The Cuffs leased land in the barony of Tirawley from the Gores, mainly in the parishes of Ardagh, Crossmolina and Kilbelfad. The rest of their estates were in the parishes of Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmaine and Drum, barony of Carra. Most of the estates of Lord Tyrawley passed to his daughter Jane and her husband, Colonel Charles Nesbitt Knox. Their granddaughter, Harriet Gardiner, for a time claimed his Belcarra estate. From the early 18th century a branch of the Cuff family had an estate at Creagh, just outside Ballinrobe, but this eventually reverted to the Knoxes. In 1876 Colonel St George Cuff of Deel Castle owned 3,205 acres in county Mayo. Monuments in memory of family members are located in the Church of Ireland graveyard, Ballinrobe. A branch of this family resided at Ballymoe in the 18th century and intermarried with the Caulfields of Donamon and the Bagots of Aghrane.
Ouseley The Ouseley family came to Ireland in the 17th century. In Richard Kelly's genealogy of the Ouseley family, Jaspar Ouseley is located in Dunmore before the end of the 17th century. Some of Jaspar's children were born in Dunmore Castle so it is probable that the Ouseleys were agents to both the St Georges and the Gores at Dunmore. Ralph Ouseley, grandson of Jaspar, went to live in county Limerick when the Earl of Ross sold the Dunmore estate, of which he had been agent. A junior branch of the family settled at nearby Prospect. Richard Ouseley of Prospect and Castle Lodge, who died in 1804, left his property to his nephews Jasper Kelly and William Langley. Jaspar Kelly was the father of Richard Kelly, editor of the ''Tuam Herald'' in the early 20th century. Some members of the Ouseley family became distinguished diplomats and Oriental scholars and another was a well known Methodist preacher. Lands belonging to William and Mary Anne Ousley in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in July 1850. Celia Ouseley of Westport, county Mayo advertised for sale the lands of Gilkeagh and part of Ballyglass, parish of Kilcroan, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in 1854. These lands were purchased by John L. Bagot.
Bagot (Bagotstown, Ballyturin & Aghrane/Castlekelly) This family were first established at Bagotstown, county Limerick in the 13th century. They later held land in counties Laois and Offaly. It was through a marriage with a member of the Cuff family that a junior branch of the Bagot family of county Offaly came to possess an estate in the barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. Catherine Cuff, a granddaughter of Thomas Cuff, a brother of James Cuff, Lord Tyrawley, married John Lloyd Bagot in 1775. Griffith's Valuation records Thomas Neville Bagot and his son John Lloyd Bagot owning townlands in the parishes of Drumatemple and Kilcroan. The Bagot estate was further expanded by the acquisition of the Castlekelly estate in the barony of Killian. Bateman notes that there much litigation between Mr. Bagot and his sister-in-law, afterwards Mrs. Roberts, on the issue. By the 1870s John Lloyd Bagot owned 6,900 acres in county Galway and 104 acres in county Roscommon, his brother Christopher Neville Bagot owned 12,396 acres in county Galway and another brother Bernard William Bagot of Carrownure, Lecarrow, owned 686 acres in county Roscommon. John Lloyd Bagot married Anna Georgina Kirwan of Ballyturin, parish of Kilbeacanty, barony of Kiltartan, county Galway. Their son John owned 1,072 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. By 1906 John Bagot held over 600 acres of untenanted demesne land in Ballyturin as well as the mansion house. 281 acres of the Bagot estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in February 1916.
Kelly (Aghrane Castle/Castle Kelly) The Kellys were settled at Castlekelly, Ballygar, barony of Killian, county Galway, from the late 17th century. Colonel Charles O'Kelly supported the Jacobite cause and a clause in the Treaty of Limerick allowed for the restoration of his estate at Aghrane, where he wrote an account of the Williamite Wars. John Kelly of Clonlyon inherited Aghrane from his cousin Denis Kelly of Dublin in 1734.The family became Protestants in the 1740s. Their estate straddled the county border so that parts of the Kelly estate were in the parishes of Athleague and Killeroran, barony of Killian, county Galway and in the parishes of Athleague and Tisrara, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. In 1828 Denis Kelly of Castle Kelly was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. In May 1863 Denis Henry Kelly advertised for sale his 13,154 acre estate of Castle Kelly in the barony of Killian, county Galway and his 1,709 acre estate in the barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. In the 1870s Denis H. Kelly of Araghty, Athleague, owned 576 acres in county Roscommon.
Bond (Carrownure) The Bonds were descended from a Presbyterian minister who settled in county Longford in the mid 18th century. In the 1830s and 1850s Richard Wensley Bond held an estate in the parish of St Johns, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. He held it from the Hodsons who had a lease in perpetuity from St George Caulfield dated 1764. Richard W. Bond was the second son of the Very Reverend Wensley Bond, Dean of Ross, and he married Sophia, daughter of Reverend James Bond of Lecarrow, county Roscommon. By the mid 1850s the Bonds were in financial difficulties and their estate at Knockneconnor, Galeybeg, Lecarrow and Carrownure was advertised for sale with some land in county Westmeath. Carrownure was bought by Edward John Irwin in 1857 who sold it to Bernard Bagot of the Castlekelly family the following year. Carrownure remained in the possession of the Bagot family until 1903 when it was purchased by the Auchmutys. Knockneconnor was advertised for sale again in May 1876. In November 1877 over 1000 acres in the barony of Boyle and also in county Leitrim, owned by William & Mary Bond, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court.
Marnell In 1749 James Marnell is recorded as residing at Cregawon in the parish of Kilcroan, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. The Marnell family of Marnellsgrove, parish of Kilcroan, held land in the parish from at least the mid 18th century to the early 19th century. By the time of Griffith's Valuation John L. Bagot was the immediate lessor of Marnellsgrove. See http://genforum.genealogy.com/marnell/messages/76.html