The Ouseley family came to Ireland in the 17th century. In Richard Kelly's genealogy of the Ouseley family, Jaspar Ouseley is located in Dunmore before the end of the 17th century. Some of Jaspar's children were born in Dunmore Castle so it is probable that the Ouseleys were agents to both the St Georges and the Gores at Dunmore. Ralph Ouseley, grandson of Jaspar, went to live in county Limerick when the Earl of Ross sold the Dunmore estate, of which he had been agent. A junior branch of the family settled at nearby Prospect. Richard Ouseley of Prospect and Castle Lodge, who died in 1804, left his property to his nephews Jasper Kelly and William Langley. Jaspar Kelly was the father of Richard Kelly, editor of the ''Tuam Herald'' in the early 20th century. Some members of the Ouseley family became distinguished diplomats and Oriental scholars and another was a well known Methodist preacher. Lands belonging to William and Mary Anne Ousley in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in July 1850. Celia Ouseley of Westport, county Mayo advertised for sale the lands of Gilkeagh and part of Ballyglass, parish of Kilcroan, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in 1854. These lands were purchased by John L. Bagot.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Ousley, 2 July 1850, Vol 2, MRGS 39/001, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Ouseley, 20 June 1854, Vol 29, MRGS 39/013, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Pedigree of Ouseley of Northamptonshire and of Keltekackley and Dunmore Castle, Co Galway, 1604-1757. GO MS 173: 100-101; National Library of Ireland
- Pedigree of Ouseley of Kittekackley, Co Galway and of Dublin, c 1720-1808. GO MS 163: 37; National Library of Ireland
- Miscellaneous Court Documents, Private Accessions 11, includes Encumbered Estates rental of lands of Sunnay etc, Co Galway estate of John Ousley, 2 July 1850. C.345; National Archives of Ireland
Modern printed sources
- ''Jnl. of the Royal Society of Antiquaries Ireland'': KELLY, Richard J. Name and family of Ousley. XL, Part II (1910), 132-146
- KELLY, Richard. ''Genealogy of the Ouseley Family''. Printed privately, 1899?: All
- GREANEY, James. ''Dunmore''. [The author], 1984: 36-50
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': Anon. Ouseleys of Dunmore. XV (1931-33), 84.