Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ouseley


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ouseley The Ouseley family came to Ireland in the 17th century. In Richard Kelly's genealogy of the Ouseley family, Jaspar Ouseley is located in Dunmore before the end of the 17th century. Some of Jaspar's children were born in Dunmore Castle so it is probable that the Ouseleys were agents to both the St Georges and the Gores at Dunmore. Ralph Ouseley, grandson of Jaspar, went to live in county Limerick when the Earl of Ross sold the Dunmore estate, of which he had been agent. A junior branch of the family settled at nearby Prospect. Richard Ouseley of Prospect and Castle Lodge, who died in 1804, left his property to his nephews Jasper Kelly and William Langley. Jaspar Kelly was the father of Richard Kelly, editor of the ''Tuam Herald'' in the early 20th century. Some members of the Ouseley family became distinguished diplomats and Oriental scholars and another was a well known Methodist preacher. Lands belonging to William and Mary Anne Ousley in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in July 1850. Celia Ouseley of Westport, county Mayo advertised for sale the lands of Gilkeagh and part of Ballyglass, parish of Kilcroan, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in 1854. These lands were purchased by John L. Bagot.
Bagot (Bagotstown, Ballyturin & Aghrane/Castlekelly) This family were first established at Bagotstown, county Limerick in the 13th century. They later held land in counties Laois and Offaly. It was through a marriage with a member of the Cuff family that a junior branch of the Bagot family of county Offaly came to possess an estate in the barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. Catherine Cuff, a granddaughter of Thomas Cuff, a brother of James Cuff, Lord Tyrawley, married John Lloyd Bagot in 1775. Griffith's Valuation records Thomas Neville Bagot and his son John Lloyd Bagot owning townlands in the parishes of Drumatemple and Kilcroan. The Bagot estate was further expanded by the acquisition of the Castlekelly estate in the barony of Killian. Bateman notes that there much litigation between Mr. Bagot and his sister-in-law, afterwards Mrs. Roberts, on the issue. By the 1870s John Lloyd Bagot owned 6,900 acres in county Galway and 104 acres in county Roscommon, his brother Christopher Neville Bagot owned 12,396 acres in county Galway and another brother Bernard William Bagot of Carrownure, Lecarrow, owned 686 acres in county Roscommon. John Lloyd Bagot married Anna Georgina Kirwan of Ballyturin, parish of Kilbeacanty, barony of Kiltartan, county Galway. Their son John owned 1,072 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. By 1906 John Bagot held over 600 acres of untenanted demesne land in Ballyturin as well as the mansion house. 281 acres of the Bagot estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in February 1916.
Gore (Baronet) In the mid 1850s Sir St George Gore, 8th Baronet, held at least 15 townlands in the parishes of Boyounagh, Dunmore and Templetogher, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. This branch of the Gore family had inherited the estates of Sir Richard St George of Dunmore, county Galway through a marriage in the early 18th century with a niece of Sir Richard's, namely Elizabeth Ashe, daughter of the Reverend St George Ashe, Bishop of Clogher. Sir George St George, father of Richard, had been granted over 8,000 acres in the baronies of Dunmore, Ballymoe and Tiaquin by patent dated 18 Dec 1666. In the late 18th century Sir Ralph Gore, 6th baronet and Earl of Ross from 1771, sold the Dunmore part of his county Galway estates to Sir George Shee. In 1872 estates in counties Limerick (1,657 acres), Galway (4,139 acres), King's County [county Offaly], Cavan, Dublin and Meath, belonging to Sir St George Gore, totaling over 9,000 acres, were advertised for sale. The county Galway estate was the largest amounting to 4,139 acres in the barony of Ballymoe. By March 1916 the Gores had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for over 2,500 acres of their county Galway estate. The Gores county Limerick estate was in the parish of Kildimo, barony of Kenry. St George Gore acted as agent to his father Sir Ralph Gore, London, in the early 1840s. The Westropps of Mellon leased the Gore estate in county Limerick.
St George (Dunmore) Sir George St George, second son of Sir George St George of Carrickdrumrusk, county Leitrim, was granted over 8,000 acres in the baronies of Dunmore, Ballymoe and Tiaquin by patent dated 18 Dec 1666. He maried Elizabeth Hannay and had 2 sons and a number of daughters. When his son Sir Richard St George died without heirs in 1726 the estate passed to the Gore family by the marriage of Sir George's granddaughter Elizabeth to Sir Ralph Gore of Manor Gore, county Donegal [1720s]. Their second son Sir Ralph Gore became Earl of Ross in 1771 and sold part of the estate to Sir George Shee at the end of the 18th century.