Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McNamara (Cong)

From 1722, George McNamara held the Abbey lands in the parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo and associated land from the Tasburgh family. George McNamara was involved in litigation over the ownership of the Abbey lands in the 1730s. By the 1770s at least 500 acres, including the Abbey and the lands of Cornamona and Clogher, county Galway, formerly held by George McNamara (died 1760), were being leased by his brother-in-law, Stephen Creagh Butler, to his son, Bartholomew McNamara. The Irish Tourist Association file records that Bishop Pococke described the Abbey House in 1770 as the most delightfully situated residence he had seen in the course of his travels. In 1786, Wilson refers to "the beautiful seat" of George McNamara. The Abbey lands were acquired by Sir Richard O'Donel of Newport in the 1780s and sold to Joseph Lambert of Brookhill, parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris, in 1852.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Abbey House Cong South Cong Ballinrobe Cong 31 Kilmaine Mayo OSI Ref: M146 552
OS Sheet: 120
Discovery map: 38

Archival sources

  • GO MS 179, 243; National Library of Ireland
  • 316.148.210405 Creagh Butler to McNamara (Dec 1776); Registry of Deeds
  • Henry Tasburgh and George MacNamara v Sir Robert Echlin and others re lands in Co Mayo formerly belonging to Abbey of Cong, Mar 1733. House of Lords Appeals Vol II; King's Inn Library
  • Irish Tourist Association. Topographical and General Survey, 1941-1945. File Mayo East 1-24, parish of Cong, Cross & The Neale; Mayo County Library
  • Twigge Collections, Add. MSS 39259-39270, historical, topographical and genealogical collections relating to Clan Chuiléin "Macnamara's Country" in east Clare. Microfilm copies in Local Studies Centre, Clare County Library, Ennis.; British Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources