Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Echlin


Estate(s)

Name Description
McNamara (Cong) From 1722, George McNamara held the Abbey lands in the parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo and associated land from the Tasburgh family. George McNamara was involved in litigation over the ownership of the Abbey lands in the 1730s. By the 1770s at least 500 acres, including the Abbey and the lands of Cornamona and Clogher, county Galway, formerly held by George McNamara (died 1760), were being leased by his brother-in-law, Stephen Creagh Butler, to his son, Bartholomew McNamara. The Irish Tourist Association file records that Bishop Pococke described the Abbey House in 1770 as the most delightfully situated residence he had seen in the course of his travels. In 1786, Wilson refers to "the beautiful seat" of George McNamara. The Abbey lands were acquired by Sir Richard O'Donel of Newport in the 1780s and sold to Joseph Lambert of Brookhill, parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris, in 1852.
Palmer The Palmer family held extensive estates in counties Mayo and Sligo, some of which they were granted by royal patent dated 1684. Other lands were acquired from other grantees and landowners such as Henry Webb, Gerrard Colley, Richard Thompson and the Gores, Cuffs and Veseys. The Palmer's Mayo estates were concentrated in the barony of Tirawley, but they also had land in the baronies of Gallen, Burrishoole and Murrisk. Lane notes that Thomas Ormsby acted as agent for these estates. The Palmers bought a large estate in the barony of Erris from the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1857 but resold it in the 1860s. These lands had previously been leased by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to Alexander George Richey. In 1870 lands in the Barony of Erris were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The purchasers included Messers Ker St. George and Whyte, both in trust. In January 1872 Mr. John McCormack bought over 130 acres of the Palmer lands at Froghill. The Palmer's estates in Sligo were usually administered by an agent. In 1876 the Palmers owned over 80,000 acres in county Mayo, 9,570 in county Sligo and 4,202 in county Dublin. The Palmer estate in county Mayo was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in 1916. The principal family seat was at Kenure Park, Rush, county Dublin.By his will dated 7 Sept 1907 Sir Roger W.H.Palmer left the rent and profits from his Mayo and Sligo estates in trust for his wife and thereafter to the male issue of his niece Mary Adela Fenwick. Roderick George Fenwick succeeded his uncle in 1913, took the additional name of Palmer and lived at Cefn Park, Wales, until his death in 1968. After 1909 an offer from the Congested Districts Board for almost 8000 acres in county Sligo was accepted. A large collection of papers from the legal firm of W.J.Shannon and Company relating to the acquisition and history of the Palmer estates was deposited in the National Archives in 1990, Acc.1174.
Bodkin (Castletown & Mountsilk) From the 17th century the Bodkins were established in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. John Bodkin leased the Castletown estate in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, from the Echlin family in 1776 and the Bingarra estate from the Bodkins of Thomastown in 1789. He also purchased land from Denis Bowes Daly in the barony of Kilconnell in 1794. He became a very extensive stock breeder and land holder. He left his property to his two sons Dominick and John Bodkin. They both were indebted to their brother-in-law, Anthony Clarke and the Bodkin estates were entangled in protracted litigation for a long period of time, resulting in their sale in the Encumbered and Landed Estates' Courts. Bingarra, barony of Tiaquin (bought by Henry Hall) and Ballybogan, barony of Kilconnell (bought by Lord Dunsandle), were advertised for sale in November 1855 and Laughill, barony of Tiaquin in November 1858. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Bodkin owned three townlands in the parish of Dunmore, barony of Ballymoe, which were advertised for sale by Thomas James Bodkin in 1864, with Ballydoogan and the islands in the barony of Kilconnell. John Samuel Barrett of Greenhills, was the purchaser of some of these lots. The representatives of Thomas J. Bodkin are recorded as holding over 350 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1808 John Bodkin of Bingarra married Margaret Bodkin of Annagh and their grandson Martin Bodkin inherited the Annagh estate, barony of Clare, following the death of his cousin Robert Bodkin of Annagh in 1881.
Echlin The Echlin family held land in the Tuam/Dunmore area of county Galway in the early 18th century. Melvin writes that they acquired part of the former Lally estate of Tullinadaly from Baldwin Crowe in 1728. Sir Henry Echlin baronet died in 1725 and was succeeded by his grandson Robert Echlin 2nd baronet. A member of the Echlin family was Dean of Tuam. Elizabeth Echlin daughter of the 2nd baronet married Francis Palmer of Castlelacken, county Mayo, and much of the Echlin property passed to or was bought by the Palmers, including Kenure Park in Dublin. http://www.askaboutireland.ie/show_narrative_page.do?page_id=1342