Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McNamara

Description

George McNamara was a son of Florence McNamara of Dromyn, county Clare. He was reputed to be a highwayman and became a popular figure in local folklore.


Estate(s)

Name Description
McNamara (Cong) From 1722, George McNamara held the Abbey lands in the parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo and associated land from the Tasburgh family. George McNamara was involved in litigation over the ownership of the Abbey lands in the 1730s. By the 1770s at least 500 acres, including the Abbey and the lands of Cornamona and Clogher, county Galway, formerly held by George McNamara (died 1760), were being leased by his brother-in-law, Stephen Creagh Butler, to his son, Bartholomew McNamara. The Irish Tourist Association file records that Bishop Pococke described the Abbey House in 1770 as the most delightfully situated residence he had seen in the course of his travels. In 1786, Wilson refers to "the beautiful seat" of George McNamara. The Abbey lands were acquired by Sir Richard O'Donel of Newport in the 1780s and sold to Joseph Lambert of Brookhill, parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris, in 1852.
Echlin The Echlin family held land in the Tuam/Dunmore area of county Galway in the early 18th century. Melvin writes that they acquired part of the former Lally estate of Tullinadaly from Baldwin Crowe in 1728. Sir Henry Echlin baronet died in 1725 and was succeeded by his grandson Robert Echlin 2nd baronet. A member of the Echlin family was Dean of Tuam. Elizabeth Echlin daughter of the 2nd baronet married Francis Palmer of Castlelacken, county Mayo, and much of the Echlin property passed to or was bought by the Palmers, including Kenure Park in Dublin. http://www.askaboutireland.ie/show_narrative_page.do?page_id=1342
Maguire At the time of Griffith's Valuation Philip McGuire held land in the parishes of Killardry and Relickmurry and Athassel, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. Philip Maguire was a son of Constantine Maguire of Tempo, county Fermanagh who inherited an estate in county Tipperary through his mother, Phoebe Macnamara, in 1830. Phoebe had family connections with the Creagh Butler family. Constantine was murdered at Toureen in 1834. In July 1852 the estate of Hugh and Philip Maguire, devisees of Constantine Maguire, deceased, at Kilnacask Lower, Dranganmore, and Toureen, in the barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale. The property at Toureen, amounting to over 900 acres, was repeatedly offered for sale during the following 25 years. In May 1876 the Irish Times reported that portions of it were purchased by a Mr. Hart. In the 1870s [Judge] Philip McGuire of Tooreen, Caher, owned 932 acres in county Tipperary.